Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

SIP/VoIP network..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sankar Subbiah

Hi,

I just subscribed to vonage (www.vonage.com) internet telephony service. I am keep wondering how the system works(from end-to-end). I searched on the internet and i came across several terms. I dont know from where to start. Could someone please tell me how this service works? Is there any document or tech. paper which gives me some idea about this service? Tech. doc. for CiscoATA186 device, which i use for this service, does not give me clear picture.

Thanks,
    Sankar S.

ANAND

HOW DOES NET PHONE WORK..?
    please give the detail knowledge of how the net phone works & all the tech-details.
    HOW DOES IT WORK ,HOW DOES IT GET’S CONNECTION’S TILL THE END USER.

John R Hogan
    AnonJuan

Sankar,

Briefly…
    There are two main VoIP camps – H.323 (grandaddy) and SIP (newcomer).
    H.323 has a much richer featureset, but setting up and tearing down a call is complex.
    SIP is a simpler featureset, and simpler to manage. Vonage uses SIP.

Simply…
    The gateway server connects your box to the phone network, and vice versa.

SIP Vonage Phone
    Box Gateway System

SIP connects to the server and leaves a connection open. This is how the Vonage gateway server knows how to find your Vonage box, no matter where it is. When someone calls you, they actually connect to the Vonage gateway server, which then does its VoIP thing, and sends the call to your box.

The gateway server is hardcoded into the Cisco box, so the box always knows how to find the Vonage gateway server. When you dial out, the phone number is sent to the gateway server, which then does its VoIP thing again (in reverse) and connects your voice stream to the actual phone network.

Hope that helps a little?

AnonJuan

Sankar Subbiah

Thanks Anon & John, Yes it helps me understand the process. I had somemore information about VoIP from various sites. Thanks Again.

Sankar S.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.