Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Protocol for VoIP

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    budi

hello,

I am colleage student in indonesia. i want to knom about voip for further. i have heard that h.323 is the protocol of voip!

Could you give me the explanation more about H.323 such as:

• If there is any protocol of voip beside H.323! could you tell me what is that?
    • I have herad that sequence error can effect the quality of service (QoS) of voip!
    • Can analyze that sequence error?
    • If i can analyze it, how to analyze it? and what a software to analyze it?
    Tom Howard

Hi,

H.323 is one of the sets of protocols that can be used for VoIP. H.323 is really a collection of other protocols. It also recommends the general network architecture in terms of the elements required in a network.

Check out the H323 Primer. This gives an brief introduction to H.323 and suggests further reading.

An alternative protocol is SIP. I don’t know which one will become dominant though. This is being discussed on another thread on this forum.

Sequencing errors will affect quality, but RTP, the protocol used to transport the digitised payload has mechanisms to assist in timing and sequencing. Both H.323 and SIP use RTP.

To analyse the protocols over an Ethernet LAN, use Wireshark. It’s free.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.