Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

What do you want?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    VoIP Calculator Webmaster

Hello,

Welcome to the Voice over IP Calculator Web site. We are creating an interactive and informative web site to support engineers deploying voice over IP. We plan to develop this along similar lines to our existing web site http://www.erlang.com.

For example, we want to include free online calculators, such as those at http://www.erlang.com/calculator/ and technical papers. Many sources of VoIP research are conceptual in nature, or have a commercial bias. We hope to provide detailed information and resources to assist engineers who are analysing and deploying Voice over IP.

But, we would like your help. Please let us know what you would like to see on this site. Some suggestions already received are

• An online calculator to explore the characteristics of various CODECs.
    • An online calculator to estimate the bandwidth requirements for VoIP applications.
    • A technical paper discussing the protocols involved in voice over IP.
    • A discussion of the delays introduced by Voice over IP.

If you have any other suggestions, please reply to this thread.

Best regards,
    The Voice over IP Calculator Webmaster.

Atul Kamat

First of all let me congratulate the people involved in the Voice over IP web site. This was clearly lacking from an engineering perspective.

The marketing hype of Voice over IP has really sidelined the technical and engineering issues involved with the deployment of voice over IP. The QoS of the IP network is mentioned in passing in most of the sites.

Attention should also be focused as to how the internet will have to adapt to accepting real time voice. Today’s Internet is clearly no way prepared to handle real time voice.

If the practicalities involved in deploying and using VoIP with proper engineering issues to be considered become well known then the site will be a definite success. The negative effects of having VoIP over a non-engineered network should also be highlighted.

One area may be to explore VoIP, VOFr and VoATM in comparison so as to reach an informed engineering decision about the core backbone.

I will also try to come up with specific points as soon as possible.

Gail Murphy

I’ve been looking for training on traffic analysis, engineering and management. The calculators are great and I’ve been using them. But there is much more behind them that I’d like to explore. Can you suggest any training references, classes, seminars, etc?

Emilio Cabañas
    • An online calculator to explore the characteristics of various CODECs.
    • An online calculator to estimate the bandwidth requirements for VoIP applications.
    • A technical paper discussing the protocols involved in voice over IP.
    • A discussion of the delays introduced by Voice over IP.
    Rich Wall
    • Calculator that will take results from Erlang calculator and plug them into various CODECs (which result in different compression ratios) and calculate bandwidth consumption on VoIP network.
    • Calculator that will take results from Erlang and VoIP calculators and show economic savings of VoIP network compared to traditional TDM network.
    • Calculator that will compute total end-to-end delay based on CODEC used, backbone transport chosen, distance between POPs, and other variables.
    • White paper on QoS across a VoIP network (WFQ, WRED, RSVP, MPLS, and ATM CoS).
    • White paper contrasting MPLS over POS and MPLS over ATM for backbone QoS transport.
    • White paper on Network Management of a VoIP QoS network (active and passive agents, SNMP polling linked to auto LCR, SS7 over IP and LCR).
    Jose Carlos Ferrario

Security issues should also be addressed in any resource involving VoIP.

Congratulations for the idea of setting up such site. It will be a real tool for data centric communications.

Warwick Elliott

I agree with Rich Wall and Emilio.

I am particularly interested in help in determining delays and the affects on voice quality when using VoFr and Vo ATM in addition to VOIP.

I look forward to more. Good luck with the site.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.