Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

GSM traffic channels

• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 20 years ago by faris.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Silungwe

Is a Traffic Channel (TCH) in a GSM mobile network given the same treatment as a circuit in an E1 trunk group when calculating Offered Traffic in Erlangs? Take for instance a GSM cell or sector with a maximum number of 28 TCHs, what would be the Traffic Offered in Erlangs if the grade of service is 2% in the Radio Interface? Please I need quick response to this question.

Thank you.

Patrick Musonda

This question John asked has been outstanding for sometime now without any one contributing to it. Can someone in the GSM Air Interface engineering fraternity say something please. I don’t think no one in Europe(the birth place of GSM technology) has seen this article. I expect engineers from Nortel, Nokia, Erricson, Siemens, Alcatel etc to give an answer to this question, or is it still under research?

Brett

Yes we normally treat a GSM tslots (TCH) the same as a fixed wire 64KBs ccts, etc etc.

There is some question as to whether Erlang B or C should be used, but generally in the Industry, Erlang B is used.

I have worked in GSM for 4 years with a number of companies and all have dimensioned TCH this way.

That said, there are some special situations, where Erlang B is used, but in a different way, specifically fractionally loaded networks. Here TCH’s on the BCCH carrier may be considered separately to hopping TCH’s in another group of channels.

Hope this helps

faris

hi all
    can we use erlng b formul to calculate the capacity in GSM(mx no. of users)
    if yes,are they talk in the same time
    whats A=77.2 means,where A is the traffic intensity in erlang b

thx

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.