- This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 18 years, 7 months ago by Bob Perkins.
24th November 2001 at 22:35 #33685Jeff HouseGuest
I work for the Minnesota DNR, and as part of my job I am trying to save my state’s tax payers money. Right now our main facility has around 1000 Centrex lines coming into it for around 650 employees. We do not pay the phone company (Qwest) directly for these lines. I would like to calculate our cost savings using DID numbers over some sort of trunk lines, however I don’t know how to measure our usage (specifically erlangs) with the lack of any sort of PBX. Does anyone know how this can be done?29th November 2001 at 22:37 #33686Bob PerkinsGuest
There are several factors within your question. You need to drill down to find out what you current terminating traffic is. Since you are using Centrex, I assume you are not in one location? How much of your traffic is internal to other Centrex members… If you would like to contact me directly feel free.
Thanks30th November 2001 at 03:07 #33687Jeff HouseGuest
Thanks for the response.
Actually the Centrex service that we are connected to in St. Paul (which is where I am trying to measure) about 99% of the lines are all in 1 building. Here’s how screwed up we are: Of the 1000 lines in to that building, there are 13 different key systems (4 different vendors) that about 40% of the people are using, the other 60% of the people are using Centrex directly. Our quasi-providor InterTech (which is part of the Department of Administration) (and whom is the customer of Qwest) said that if we wanted any sort of use analysis we would have to pay to have it done for all of the Centrex lines they hold in the St. Paul area which is around 65,000 lines. Basically they told us we couldn’t afford to have the analysis done. It just seems like there must be some sort of educated way to figure out how many trunk lines we would need.
Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.1st December 2001 at 04:08 #33688Bob PerkinsGuest
Give me a department to call you at and I will try and reach you next week. We can go through how you are using your Centrex internally and externally. It is possible you could get by with as little as 55-75 trunks. There are many factors, such as call center agents, high call volume departments, ancillary use and so on. In some cases Internal traffic is the key, if it is heavy, a pbx can carry the load quite nicely. I have 2 customers that fit in the 1000 line area, I will check on their trunking and applications. This will at least give you a start. PRI and 2way DID could save a significant amount.
thanks bob5th December 2001 at 01:39 #33689Bob PerkinsGuest
I have looked into the DNR some and how they handle the Telecommunications. It looks like they are averaging the cost over all of the state offices. So if it cost 60 per line in the Metro and 25 in rural MN, the average is somewhrere around 45 per line. If one uses 4 ccs for 650 people, that equates to 72 BHT’s or the need for 88 lines. If you can estimate the ccs, for your average department this will give you the best start.