Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

voice accent training British teacher

• This topic has 9 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 17 years ago by annie.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    britchick

hi

I am British and trained in teaching English as a foreign language. i have been teaching overseas since September 05, and after visiting India last summer would really like to find work there. I have started looking into voice and accent training, but it seems that my experience being solely in English teaching (not in call centre roles) means I am unlikely to get work – especially as a company would have the hassle of visas etc. It seems being a native speaker will not actually enhance my prospects!
    I would be really grateful for any advice.

Rachna singh

I dont think so,i am a V&A trainer myself and have worked with the top bpos in Delhi/Gurgaon and have seen foreign nationals working even as managers.You will defenitly be considered for a Uk process,please consult leading job placement consultants or approach good call centers directly.

Dubai

Ever given Dubai a thought? If you have the required certification from a recognised institute in the UK, you can apply to various schools and educational institutions. You don’t need a visa to visit Dubai.

britchick

thanks for the advice, but i do not think dubai is for me. maybe the culture there would not really suit a single christian girl somehow! it is india i really i want to live and work in – maybe when you are from there you do notsee it,but it really one of the most exciting places in the world

Dubai

Hi Britchick,
    I’m an Indian and a Christian!! I’ve been in Dubai for over a year, and believe me its like any other country in Europe. Why I made the suggestion was because I know the market.
    My father is a teacher in India and there are alot of gap students from the UK who work every year. The principal is from the UK as well. I can speak to him, that is if you wanna stick to the teaching line.
    But again, Dubai is worth a visit…!! Google for info. you’ll get a better picture..

britchick

well will certainly consider Dubai…
    thanks for the offer about the school where your dad works but i am actually looking for something more long term that is a development of my career. i am 32 and my current job is managing a english teaching program with 12 staff and approx 250 students, and i oversee all aspects (including the adminstration)of the courses. i am looking for something that will use the skills i have developed outside of the classroom aswell and that is why training appeals.

Dubai

If you need any info. from my end, do drop a line. Would love to be of any help. Just saw 4 ads in the daily papers for english language teachers for different english schools!!

annie

hi guys!
    hey britchick, i am interested to know more about teaching english as a foreign language, abroad. Is it possible for Indian nationals to teach english abroad,without a tefl, etc.?wud luv to hear frm u.
    thanks!

britchick

you probably could get a job in some places without a tefl
    or english qualification but to be honest they probably would not be very good places to work for – i would doubt how professionally run they were. i would not take on a foreigner to work for my department who did not have qualifications in teaching english. (the local teachers have done a degree in english and have done teaching practice as part of that)
    the place where i work said to take a tefl course before i could work there even though i was qualified as a school teacher and had worked as a teacher in england, because it is quite different: having good english and being able to teach it as a foreign language are not the same. in the UK we have two courses CELTA or TESOL (which are basically the same)which take 4 -5 weeks full time. i think the british council in India offers CELTA. it is not cheap but it is very good and is recognised all over the world. any other short course probably is not worth the money. if there is any other advice i can give you do say .

annie

hi britchick, n thanks a ton for that..appreciate it :-))

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Call center’ is closed to new topics and replies.