Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

What is Outsourcing means in Pakistan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kamal Faridi

Outsourcing has become a “charged’ word. It is an important concept to understand because of its business applications (both for corporations and for small businesses) and because of its political implications. The following is intended as a primer on the main topics related to outsourcing. We have included a (hopefully) balanced summary of the “offshoring debate” without a definitive conclusion as we do not intend to take a political stance on this issue.

Definition of Outsourcing
    Outsourcing is the act of obtaining services from an external firm.

Business Process Outsourcing
    In the corporate environment, the term “outsourcing” often refers to a particular type of outsourcing, business process outsourcing (BPO). BPO occurs when an organization turns over the management of a particular business process (such as accounting or payroll) to a third party that specializes in that process. The underlying theory is that the BPO firm can complete the process more efficiently, leaving the original firm free to concentrate on its core competency.

Roots of Outsourcing
    The concept of outsourcing was first made popular by Ross Perot when we founded Electronic Data Systems (EDS) in 1962. EDS would say to a potential client, “You are good at designing and manufacturing widgets, but we are skilled with managing information technology. We will sell you the IT services that you require, and you can pay us periodically with a minimum commitment of two years.” Today, EDS is a multi-billion dollar company with over 70,000 employees and is only one of many global BPO firms.

Offshore Outsourcing
    Offshore outsourcing, or “offshoring”, refers to outsourcing to firms in foreign countries, often to take advantage of labor arbitrage. In the past 10 years, business process outsourcing contracts have increasingly been given to firms in developing countries. Typically educated workers in developing countries, such as India or China, work for a much lower wage than do similarly educated workers in developed countries, such as Japan. Savings from the lower wage rate must exceed the increased costs of management and risk associated with offshore outsourcing for it to be economically viable.

The Politics of “Offshoring”
    Offshore outsourcing has recently become a hotly-debated issue in the national media. When the American economy began to pull out of recession in 2001, unemployment did not decrease as expected. Offshore outsourcing was blamed as a contributing factor to this “jobless recovery”. Information Technology was a particularly soft sector, and many American programmers lost their jobs to lower-paid foreign counterparts. Many economists however have recently conjectured that the higher-than-expected unemployment numbers were not the result of offshore outsourcing, and that offshore outsourcing has actually had a positive impact on the American economy. Undoubtedly the debate will continue into the presidential campaign.

By Kamal Uddin Faridi

subhash

THIS ARTICE IS SIMPLY SUPERB BUT STILL CAN BE FURTHER IMPROVED ON THE MATTER OF DISCUSSION ON OFFSHORING

Yousuf Husain

Really appreciate the effort and keen interest in pakistan BPO economy by Mr Kamal Faridi.

I must say OFFICE FIELD is the only company who took off when Mr Kamal joins like a bullet.

Fida

Hi i am working in a call centre in UK and i can understand how much money they can make by providing services.

I am thinking of setting up a call centre in Lahore.

Would you please tell me what is the start up cost and what is the process.

I wana know all the factors and major costs involve in opening a call sector.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Call center’ is closed to new topics and replies.