Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Other Traffic Models

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ed Chew

Hello!

I work for a metropolitan police department and we’ve just completed a staffing study of our police communications division (911 call center). In our study, the analyst refers to the Erlang C Traffic Model as the most commonly used model for staffing this type of call center. I would like to know if there are other simular models to calculate correct staffing size?

Thanks for your insight!

Edward Chew
    City of Chula Vista Police Dept.

R. Donnelly

Most models us a form of erlang; including merlang. Erlang doesn’t consider calls abandoned in queue; amongst other things, and has a tendency to overstate staffing requirements. I would recommend that you look at the HillsB model if you’re looking for more of a do-it-yourself method (http://www.htlt.com/). Otherwise, I would recommend that you seek out a workforce management application; like Blue Pumpkin, IEX, or Rightforce.

Hope this helps. If you want to talk more feel free to email me.

Best of luck,

R. Donnelly

DMcK

ED, ultimately all models rely on a series of assumptions, any one of which may not suit your particular situation.

I anticipate that at the ‘small end’ (less than 10 operators) most models will give similar staff levels anyway (whats the difference between 9.2 staff and 9.7 staff?)

You also have the politics of your operatrion to consider, in a 911 centre would ‘understaffing’ be tolerated?–peoples lives depend upon it.

Then there is the problem of the ‘civic disaster’ when all predictions about calls will probably not match the real events. Make sure you have a good contingency plan!

As your adviser said, most of the call centres use ERLANC C for predictions. There is safety in conformity !!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Call center’ is closed to new topics and replies.