Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Call Relay – codec transcoding

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tim

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the Quintum Tenor Call Relay products offer codec transcoding? If a call arrives at a Call Relay offering G.723, and the destination only supports G.729, will the Call Relay decode and re-code the audio or will the call fail?

At the moment, I am achieving this transcoding function using a Tenor DX gateway with E1 ports looped back. That’s obviously not a good use of the equipment and I would rather deploy the DX gateways for E1 termination elsewhere and replace them with Call Relays.

Also, with the call relay, does T.38 fax work if it supported by the caller and called party, or just by one party? And lastly, how about DTMF? If the calling party sends out of band DTMF signalling (H.245 UserInputIndication) and the called party only supports in band, will it work?

Is there any other equipment I should think about for this function? Someone told me that Welltech support VoIP in / VoIP out.

Thanks.

MikeM to Tim

The Call Relay will not support transcoding. Whatever codec is received will be sent. It will support T.38, but both parties must also support it. I believe the same will be for the H245 digit relay.

MikeM
    mike_voip@hotmail.com

Tim

Thanks MikeM. That’s what I suspected. I’ll stick with my current architecture. It just seems so wasteful.

Tim

Sorry, one more thing MikeM. I assume Remote NAT (NAT traversal) works for calling parties behind NAT on the Call Relay in the same way as the DX gateways?

MikeM to Tim

Yes and No.

One use for the call relay is when you have multiple gateways behind a NAT, but only one public IP. You can put the call relay behind that NAT with the public IP assignment and then the call relay, as it receives calls from public IP, can route to the correct gateway on the private IP.

MikeM
    mike_voip@hotmail.com

Tim

Thanks. Does that work the other way round? If the Call Relay has a fixed public IP address and the calls arriving from endpoints behind NAT, will the audio get back to the caller OK? This is the Remote NAT feature on the DX that works really well.

MikeM to Tim

The audio issue needs to be resolved by the unit behind the NAT, not anything on the public network. So if the device is a quintum behind NAT, then, in most cases, there should be no problem.

MikeM
    mike_voip@hotmail.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.