Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

sip Signalling traffic consumtion

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Macboi

As we know we have signalling traffic and the media traffic, the media traffic’s bandwidth consumtion will be based on the codec used but my question is : how much does the signaling traffic consume so i can calculate the correct bandwidth i need.

B Mukhange

I want to install a satellite (VSAT) dish for Internet and VoIP with one or two phones. The phone usage is normal. How can I calculate the required bandwidth both up and down?
    BIM

MikeM to Mukhange

Mukhange,

Bandwidth required for VoIP is standard from the gateway side meaning that you decide on either G.729 (8kb) or G.723 (6.3kb). These are standard codecs and the bandwidth used for each is standard for any device. So if you use G.729, the payload size will be 8kb in each direction, however, you need to add the IP header information to the payload to complete the packet. This part varies slightly based on your router and the network. Typically it is between 10kb & 16kb (yes the header is actually bigger than the payload). So for G.729 the average bandwidth needed is around 18kb or so in each direction per call.

MikeM
    mike_voip@hotmail.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.