Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

need help about question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Gaurav Lohiya

Voice-over-IP (VoIP) is based on the UDP protocol. This is because UDP has a lower overhead than TCP. What is the effective percentage gain in throughput (of any given payload) using UDP vs TCP?

Tom Howard

UDP has an 8 octet header, and TCP usually has a 20 octet header. Both require an IP header and an RTP header, which together add 32 octets.

The percentage difference between UDP and TCP depends on the size of the payload. A 20 octet payload is typical (G.729 with a sample sent every 20ms).

But, that’s not the whole story. TCP takes longer to process at the end points because they check whether data is received in the correct order and whether retransmissions are required. This is an unnecessary overhead, because if TCP detects a transmission problem, there is no point in retransmitting. Voice is real time, so if samples do not arrive, they are considered lost and the codec software just “gets on with life” 🙂

Gaurav

hi,

I m satisfied with the answer given by froum.that is the answaer i am looking for.

Thanks a lot to everyone as i get,what i want.

Azeem s Shaikh

Voice-over-IP (VoIP) is based on the UDP protocol. This is because UDP has a lower overhead than TCP. What is the effective percentage gain in throughput (of any given payload) using UDP vs TCP?

Tom Howard

Didn’t I just answer that one?

rahul bose

aba

7. Voice-over-IP (VoIP) is based on the UDP protocol. This is because UDP has a lower overhead than TCP. What is the effective percentage gain in throughput (of any given payload) using UDP vs TCP?

Tom Howard

I see. So, I wasted my time answering the latest exam question – question 7. And from the look of the confused responses, it seems that no one understood it anyway. Let’s hope none of you ever make it into the industry.

Amol from Pune

7. Voice-over-IP (VoIP) is based on the UDP protocol. This is because UDP has a lower overhead than TCP. What is the effective percentage gain in throughput (of any given payload) using UDP vs TCP?

immediately withing 5 minutes i want this answer

Noname

My teenager daughter will not lower the volume on the stereo.

I want the VOIP comunity to give mea step by step procedure to make this trouble go away.

Right NOW!!!!!!!

I guess this question is as ridicule as some others…….

Dana

Can the overhead due to retransmission in TCP be quantised? i mean, is there any probability and stats.. like expected number of lost packets..

prakash

please answer within 5 minutes

leena

nita

sagar

tom r u there

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.