Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

anybody can help me clarify the concept?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sojid

1. PRI Signaling Protocols: National ISDN-2, Euro ISDN NET5,
    2. T1 CAS
    3. E1 CAS

what is the different of them? thanks

MikeM

Sojid,

These are basic signaling standards for T1/E1. There are really 2 basic types. ISDN (such as PRI signaling) and CAS. ISDN signaling uses one of the channels on the T1 or E1 to signal call setup/tear-down messages along with other information like ANI, etc. So with a T1 (normally 24 channels), channel 24 is used for this signaling information. This channel is called the D-channel. On an E1 channel 16 is used as the D-channel. The remaining channels are then used for the actual voice. The benefit of ISDN is the connection time is very fast and carriers can offer many services on top of ISDN.

CAS (Channel Associated Signaling) is when a portiion of each channel of a T1 or E1 is used to signal the call connection/teardown so instead of 64kb available for voice you really only have 56kb. This generally does not cause a problem with voice communications. The main down side to CAS is that it is much slower than ISDN.

If you need more in-depth information, I suggest you research ISDN and CAS on the web.

Mike

sojid

Dear MikeM,
    “ISDN signaling uses one of the channels on the T1 or E1 to signal call setup/tear-down messages along with other information like ANI, etc”

is that means i only need to apply for ISDN-PRI for my gateway from the carrier? for example, i ask the carrier to provide 10 ISDN-PRI if i need 10 E1? is it correct concept?
    thaks again

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.