Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

change to VoIP – organizational tips??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Xpet

Hi, we’re a mid-size organisation based in Taiwan. We’re thinking about changing to VoIP for our long-distance and international telephony needs and are currently evaluating what’s available. Could anybody share any tips, recommendations, warnings, experiences etc. regarding such a change-over? Is VoIP also feasible for local telephony purposes? Is it possible to continue using the existing telephone system at our end? What about third parties that continue to use normal telephones?? As you can see, we’re just starting to look into this topic and need to learn a lot more, maybe you guys can help!!?? Thanks a lot, Xpet.

Xpet

… I should maybe add that our company currently has appr. 2000 employees, but as most are working in production our actual telephone end-points are about 600 right now, with an exisiting telephone system and IntraNet, thanks! Xpet.

Noname

Unless you have a specific need for functions that only offered in VOIP phones, you should not go to VOIP for local telephony as a change .
    For international calling, is a must. USed together with your actual PBX equipment, you do not change anything on the phones, bur stop feeding the long distance companies.

For long distance, depends where you are at and how expensive the long distance calls are.

In some places, you still need to pay close to a one dollar a minute to talk across the border, only 50 miles away.

Getting a gateway that interface with your PBX at a E1 or T1 level will guaranty high quality audio.

The best way to start, will be routing all international calls out of the main PBX to a gateway to a VOIP provider.
    That setup normally pays for itself in months.

Best regards!!!

VoIP Alaska

Xpet

If you want to try VoIP without any expense and you have headsets for your computers you can download a softphone and get accounts with seperate numbers, no monthly service fees just pre-pay for International calls. Once you see the saveings then you can go the expense to connect VoIP to your existing phone system.

Xpet

Thanks everybody for the response, very helpful indeed! I heard yesterday that using VoIP only makes sense if the party you’re trying to reach also uses the same technology? Is that true?? I had heard about a technology referred to as “computer to phone” (e.g. as offered by SKYPE) that enables e.g. the use of a soft phone, connection via VoIP technology to normal phones … is that a normal set up for corporate customers, is it feasible?? Thanks again, much appreciated!! We’re in Taiwan, by the way and in case I hadn’t mentioned that before, we have a lot of long distance connections to Singapore, the US and Europe …

As for the headphone thing, we haven’t got sets for our people right now and I’d have to discuss with IT whether the current set-up would support those, but definitely worth thinking about! Thanks! Xpet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.