Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Does VOIP require two servers?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    New Guy… Plz Help

Hello All,

I am new here, and would like to know a little more about VOIP. I was hoping that you all can shed some light. Say you want to offer VOIP for your company, one here and one over seas…

1: Are two servers required to set up a VOIP; One here and the other one at the destination? Or will one server going through an ISP work?

2: If you don’t have two servers and your making an outgoing long distance call, (routed from your server to a normal phone line, and you don’t have an existing server close to the destination) will you be billed for the phone service, or will your ISP cover that?

3: Will your cost be for your end of the server, and once the call is placed the only thing you’re responsible for is the total bandwidth of the conversation, billed from your ISP; or do you have other long distance cost to worry about?

Ben

Answer to question 1. Many times you can use 1 server so long as you have these things in your server. Radius server software installed & a billing & managment program installed on your server. You can have different work with different destinations. There is a limite on destination which depends on the gateways & gatekeepers you use.

I am unable to answer your questions to 2 & 3. I will be happy to answer them, but I would need I rephrased or more in depth details so I can answer your question. You can email me at cable-rft@sbcglobal.net or you can see me on windows messenger dvcvoip@cableone.net

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.