Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

trouble with Net2phone Voiceline – help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tc

Greetings from South America, hoping for some advice.

Net2phone’s PC2phone service has been my lifeline since arriving in the Southern Hemisphere in the fall of 04. I have been very pleased with the pc2phone service but decied to try net2phone’s “Voiceline service,” a full VOiP deal.

To use this service, I had to buy an InnoMedia MTA 3328-2 TA. Since it arrived last month, though, I haven’t been able to get it to work. I get a dialtone and can call to the US and hear the other party perfectly, they just CAN’T hear me (or I break up consistently).

One of my techie friends tells me that the problem appears to be blocked UDP ports or something like that. Not sure why pc2phone worked superbly but the “Voiceline” service doesn’t?

My tech pal also lent me a Cisco ATA 186 and set up a test account on a VoIP startup company he is putting together and that works perfectly! Why would the Cisco work but not the Innomedia, if the prob. is really blocked UDP ports? (whatever that is!)

I apologize for the rookie question/ignorance but hope somebody might be able to help.

I am using a 128 KBPS Adsl connection. (This connection occasionally runs slower than advertised, but I average about 90+ KBS.) Both ta’s were/are plugged into a Linksys BEFsr41 4 port router. Know it doesn’t matter but I’m running on an HP with 2.0 GHZ, 512 mbs Ram and 120 Gig HD. Appreciate any help.

thanks,
    tc

Noname to TC

Life South of the Equator could be dificult indeed.

About the ATA and MTA 3328-2.
    The ATA 186 have two diferent modes of operation.
    One is using the protocol H323, that is normally a pain to setup when you have a NAT router(one public I.P. address from the NET, several devices or computer plugged into the router).

The other posible setup is called SIP, the most common one among the “new ” internet providers, like Vonage or those.
    The diference betwen the ATA and thew other devices could be that they are running diferent protocols.

But my WAG (Wild …. Guess):If you get broken audio. It should not be blocked ports. Blocked ports normally do not work at all .

It is indeef extrange that you have trouble with audio one way, to the NET. Normally is the other way around.

Sugestions: Put the gateway device on a static I.P. address on the NAT router.

Make that I.P. address the DMZ zone .

That should make the gateway have a better connection to the NET.

Good luck!!!!

tc

Thanks noname for the great advice.

My question is simple/but naeive. How do I do this?

My ISP has given me a static IP address — and we had some trouble setting up the router but eventually got it.

Can you forgive an idiot and give some details (as much as you have time for) and kind of “walk me through the process?”

I hate to be a pain – but it sounds like you might be onto the solution here.

Many, many thanks.
    tc

Noname to TC

Lets get to the simplest config:
    You have a provider (adsl,cable or phone line) that carries your internet to your location.
    That conection is the one that have the static I.P. address.
    From the cable modem , or ADSL modem,should be a ethernet cable to the WAN port of the router.
    The router shoul have the static I.P. address setup on the WAN.

On the inside, or LAN, you will be using DHCP or manually asigned I.P. addressses for your devices.
    Somwhere on the setup of the router should be a DMZ tab or setting.
    It normally ask for the internal I.P. of the device that you need to set as part of the DMZ zone.

Some other routers have a specific port that is the one that your could set as DMZ.

I do not know where you are at, but Linksys routers are not too expensive, and guaranteed to work on most cases.

If you still need help, feel free to contact me at mike3799@yahoo.
    I could send you the file with the ATA setup for H323 and the sample of the linksys and DMZ zone.

Best regards.

help

If you still need help, feel free to contact me at jeffcheny2k@yahoo.ca

needn’t to setup DMZ for some situation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.