Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Bandwidth usage and SoftSwitch

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dan

I am about to buy a softwitch to do minutes wholesale business. I will buy my server and the softwitch but I will rent a collation and bandwidth from an ISP (please note I will put my own server and my softwitch there). If I were to send 1 million minutes per month through the ISP how much bandwidth of the ISP I will use? Your help is appreciated. If you need the codec used to calculate this please assume an average codec.

Thanks in advance.

my email is

danrobertson39@hotmail.com

Dan

Andrew Zhilenko

First of all, if you will just do the signaling proxy – your bandwidth usage will be minimal.
    If you wish to use the media proxy – then you can check the bandwidth requirements depending on the codec. http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Bandwidth+consumption

Dan

Thanks for your reply. I checked the site and it does not answer my question. I wanted to get an over all picture of how much bandwidth usage I should expect for one million minutes sent in a month. Still do not have the an anser. you can use any codec as an exmple.

thanks though.

Andrew Zhilenko

1) Do you plan to use signaling or media proxy?
    2) If you plan to use the media proxy – then you can do the math:
    1,000,000 * 60 * / (8*1024) = X (estimated MBytes of traffic per month)

Dan

Thank you very much for your reply

Using this formula you posted, I got, 7324.2187 assuming this is MB to change it to GB I divided it to 1024 and I got 7.1525, so Can I say the bandwith that will be used is 7.3GB or I miss something.

Also I assume the 8 you used is the bandwidht perline?

Thanks again

Andrew Zhilenko

Sorry, the formula got crippled, because I have included one of the elemtents in the “less” and “more” signs, and the forum thought it is a HTML tag. The correct one is:

1,000,000 * 60 * CODEC_BANDWIDTH / (8*1024) = X (estimated MBytes of traffic per month

and 8 is a number of bits and a byte

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.