Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Cisco Unity port sizing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sijbren Beukenkamp

Not sure if this is right place to ask this question, so please forgive if it isn’t.

A customer in Europe is migrating towards IP Telephony and Unified Messaging from Cisco. They did not have VM or UM in the legacy environment.

Are there any guidelines of how many ports I need to design for the Unity servers based on the number of users.

What also might help if there is some indication from other deployments.

Thanks in advance
    Sijbren

Andrew Zhilenko

Check the PortaSIP/PortaUM solutions from Porta Software (www.portaone.com). They are open source and do not have any per-port limitations.

Sijbren Beukenkamp

Haven’t read the full documentation, but is seems to be a interesting product to keep in mind.
    Some questions:
    1. Does it scale to 10000 users.
    2. Does it support a distributed architecture.
    3. Does it need the E1 interface for incoming voice calls or only for DSP resources, as the UM must coexist with Cisco CallManager.

Andrew Zhilenko

1) Yes
    2) You can have multiple UM gateways, but normally one IMAP server (I will have to check if Cyrus IMAP supports distributed message storage)
    3) Yes, because of the Cisco limitations for the IVR on the VoIP call leg – you need to pass all the incoming calls to voicemail through E1/T1. If you can forward the calls from CCM to PortaUM, it can process them.

Sijbren Beukenkamp

Hi,

I see that you are quite a fan of the product. It is interesting and I will keep it mind.
    The customer is already on the Cisco track and also needs a tight integration with Exchange 2003 and Active directory.
    So my main question still remains:
    Are there guidelines for sizing Cisco Unity (UM) ports, when the customer did not have UM before.

UnityMan

The general rule for port sizing is approximately 25 users per port. However, this depends on how you will be using automated-attendant and if users will be listening to their messages from the desktop (Outlook). For more information about Cisco Unity, you should visit http://www.ciscounitytools.com

There is a customer forum and tons of cool tools there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.