Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

VoIP through a Firewall (NAT)

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 20 years ago by ipworld3.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mat @ Blue Lava

I get a lot of questions regarding VoIP equipment running behind firewalls and I know it is a common problem faced by lots of you. This causes lots of problems like one-way speach, cannot register with the GateKeeper etc.

I have listed some of the ports that you must open on your firewall to be able to start using VoIP – please note that this is far from a definitive list and certain vendors use different ports for proprietary signalling – but it should give you a head start !!

Port 23 TCP – Telnet – For CLI type functions
    Port 80 TCP – HTTP – For Web browsing your gateway
    Ports 161 & 162 UDP – SNMP – If you monitor your GW via SNMP
    Ports 9002 & 9003 TCP – CDR – Used on a Quintum for sending the CDRs
    Port 1718 UDP – RAS – Used for GateKeeper discovery
    Port 1719 UDP – RAS – Used for GateKeeper registration
    Port 1720 TCP – Q931 – Used for Call Signalling (Essential)
    Ports 2000 to 2063 TCP – H245 – Used for H245 inter GW communication

I hope that this information proves useful and hope that people add to the list with any vendor specifics.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at: mhitchcock@blue-lava.co.uk

Mat.

James

In addition to this I want to add a URL that will help Quintum users to configure their gateways behind NAT.

http://www.quintum.com/support/products/1G/tenor_1G/index.shtml

Look for the following topic:
    Important document describing how to configure Firewalls and NAT, including NATAccess (80 KB PDF)

Good Luck!

ipworld3

Before doing all this, I would suggest putting tenor in DMZ mode and then try. I wonder if opening ports, though a possible solution, will work full fledge.

ipworld3@hotmail.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.