Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

IP to PSTN?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rob

Hi,

We’re looking at both VOCAL and Asterisk for managing a VoIP network at the moment.

Can someone explain to me how we can make and receive calls on Plain Old Telephone Lines?

Do we need to somehow interact with a telco such as BT or COLT?

Thanks,

Rob

www.blue-lava.co.uk

Rob,

Blue Lava can help you with everything from the plan and design through to installation and commisioning. We can also arrange training on any equipment or software you need and provide ongoing support.

Feel Free to contact us at
    mhitchcock@blue-lava.co.uk
    T:441293884900

To Rob

To go from IP to PSTN you need an FXO gateway

Mat Hitchcock

Hi Rob,

There are two types of analogue ports within the VoIP gateway world. FXO – for connecting phone lines to, and FXS for connecting phones and faxes directly to.

If you are going to connect to a BT socket on the wall for example you would require an FXO gateway. This would allow you to send calls from the IP network to BT and BT to the IP network.

One word of advise…. nearly all the gateways ship with a US telephone jack (RJ11) and you’ll probably need a converter to change to the BT style. These are readily available at most PC shops.

BT use Loop Start on their lines so configure the unit for that if it is an option on your particular gateway.

If you need any further advice please feel free to contact me at: mhitchcock@blue-lava.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Nosequien

Mat, where you a teacher on your previus life???

Just kidding, but you should know that we apreciate the way that you explain the issues at hand to other people.
    Even for the ones that have some time on the bussines, sometimes I learn something out of your postings.
    Keep up the good work!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.