Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

VoIP and VPN

• This topic has 9 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 20 years ago by www.blue-lava.co.uk.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    alexander

Hi, guys!
    I’m GSM engineer and going to create remote connection from my home to some GSM network in other part of the globe, I’m going to use something like QTelNet FreeRide FXO-1301 for phone connection and somethng like SnapGear Lite2 VPN for remote connection…May be someone know, if there is a device in the market which has both VPN and VoIP feature? (I mean rather cheap device, of cource 🙂

Noname

Some cisco do. But about the cheap part, it fails the test.

A old joke from communications people: You could get cheap, fast and reliable. Pick any TWO of those.

Regards!!!!!

Chris

Have you looked at the Draytek range of voice enabled routers.

Something like the 2600V which has a VPN and VOIP (you plug your normal analog phone in the back)

Just a thought

Chris

Should have said they are ADSL routers

alexander

Hi !
    Chris, sorry, I did’nt understand, may Draytek work like ordinary Ethernet device, not lie ADSL router?

br
    alex

Chris

Not sure about not using the ADSL bit, I suppose it’s possible, don’t connect the ADSL side of the router.

Other routers I have heard talk of include those from Intertex in Sweden, they are SIP aware and I believe they have a lot of different types available.

I know Draytek is planning an upgrade for their 2600V series to make it an FXO one. Don’t have any timescales though.

Beny

Hi!
    You mean that you need connect VoIP on GSM codec also or G723 or other will also good ? If yes – not all VoIP GWs support codec GSM also.
    I think in your case, better solution will using soft phone. For example OpenH323 , or exist like this SIP version.

alexander

Hi, guys!
    Thanx 4 replys!
    to Beny: No, I don’t need to connect VPN/VoIP device to GSM network itself, I just need to connect local LAN to LAN somewhere in the world for remote working as GSM engineer.
    By the way, why most devices which support VPN, VoIP are ADSL modems, not just Ethernet device to connect one LAN to another throught Internet? Because the market for such devices is a “home use” market which in most cases has ADSL connection to Internet?

Chris

Certainly in the UK, the cost of dedicated (leased) lines means that the majority of small businesses choose ADSL where available.

These people are also likely to want to access data from wherever they are hence the need for dial-in (RADIUS) or VPN.

So the demand is for ADSL routers that can handle VPN as well.

www.blue-lava.co.uk

But there are many service providers worldwide who can provide you with a managed adsl circuit with vpn’s if needed they may cost more money but definately work. Plus with more and more places SDSL people are offering 1:1 contended circuits so that you effectively have a cheap leased line.

dwray@blue-lava.co.uk

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.