Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Simple cordless extension on POTS?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ken

I’m adding a pool house about 150 ft away to a wireless net (just a plain 802.11b with directional antennas). The pool house doesn’t have its own phone line, and I can’t lay phone wire to it.

Is there anything voip I can add so that I can use a regular telephone at the pool house to connect to a regular pots line at the main house? (The owner probably won’t spend more than a few hundred dollars for it.)

Dan C

Ken,

There are solutions but will be more than a few hundred as you need to access an FXO gateway. I am partial to the QTelNet (www.qtelnet.com) products. You would need an FXO-1301 in the home and an FXS-1301 in the pool house where you could plug in an regular phone or two.

noname

You should be able to get 150 ft with a 2.4 ghz cordless? why pay more?

Ken

noname – A few reasons why I’m not considering a cordless phone more seriously. 1) Someone’s living at the pool house, and needs their own answering machine there; 2) 2.4 GHz can interfere with wi-fi (altho I can probably set channels to get around that), but I’ve never had reliable connection at 150 ft anyway… next best bet is long range 900 MHz, but they cost $400 or $500; 3) Gonna have wi-fi anyway… maybe hopes were just too high for affordable voip?

Dan C – Thanks. I saw the QTelNet stuff… seems workable, but I do need it to be more affordable. Who knows… might think of an excuse to get owner to pay for it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.