Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

VOIP setup

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    karthi

Can anyone guide to setup low cost rural voip setup through VSAT.actually i would like to limit access of IP phone at a time in a network. ie I try to explain the setup..I put a VSAT with 32 Kbps connected to router and then to wireless local loop.users will be having IP phone with wireless connectivity.when user picks up the IP phone it reaches through WLL and VSAT and then to the NOC gateway and he gets the IVR and inturn connected to IP telephony network.
    the problem here is for 32Kbps at 8Kbps compression 4 users can have voice call at a time with good quality..if i have more users how do i control or just to have 4 users can have voice conversation..
    at a time.my intension is just to make a setup for only 4 voice IP calls at a time.pls guide me how do i go about for this.my WLL doesn’t support to allow only 4 IP’s at a time either i can block only IP’s permanently.pls guide me for the lowcost setup.

karthi

Zainal Abedin

I would like to know how to setup VoIP.
    Pls. Help Me.
    Zainal

Karthikeyan

hai Zainel,

ok i can help you.
    but i would like to know how do you want to setup.

1. with wireless ?
    2.planning to provide subscribers?
    3.provide me your requirements.

Hasanuzzaman

Hallo , We want to set up VOIP in Bangladesh. Initially we want to provide this solutionin our capital city Dhaka.By this solution customer can call directly from his own VOIP supported telephone, Mobile phone or computer. Can any one here to provide us full technical solution. If you think you are the best person, please mail us with your experience details within 10 december 2003.

prozac

Guide…its simple

First u need to know how big u wanna be. Then who is ur audience, and how they will make the call

Lets say they use a CPE, like a ATA, so this we enable to use SIP, since its easier than H323.

So we need a SIP server, surf a little u will find out. Set it up. Now the ATA sends message to server, it gets authenticated.

Now we need to be able to pass the traffic to a PSTN node, here the problem, u need to either plugin PSTN lines into ur network, for local calls, or hand over to large IP carrier, or build ur own worldwide coverage..if u have the money come and hire me 🙂

Lets assume u wanna do it in the middle. Pick up the phone call a few large Voip carrier tell em u wanna pass sip traffic, tell em how much, they give u the rates and voila we go live.

If u wanna do it on ur own locally and cheap, get urself asterisk, get a few digium cards, stack the boxes, plugin the pstn lines, build a billing systems, and ur done.

Oh remember people who wanna to VoiP–voip they will only be able to talk to others on ur network, unless u interconnect with other voip providers, which again is easy.

Prozac—-high on life

greg@nufone.net

Go prozac.

Mookie

Hello All;

I need your help and expertise in desiding what direction I need to go.

I want to implement VOIP for our company. We have a head office in the US, and small branch offices in other countaries. The plan is so that each office will talk to any other office within the company using IP Telephony. We currently don’t have any enterprise network. Some locations may have one pc, and 8-10 users. The telephone is our backbone communication. Sometimes, we want a branch office user to be able to call from his office to another branch and/or its local pstn.

So far, I’ve been reading about VOIP, but get confused between the H.323 and SIP. I know they’re both provide the VOIP, but which one is better for me. I am looking for the cheapest and easiest one with the reliabality and clearance.

Any of your help would be so appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

none so far

Mookie;

I suggest contacting an IPpbx provider. If its a smaller company you should check out Altigen, Artisoft, 3Com etc. If its high-mid to large I say go to like a Toshiba CS or a Cisco.

Have a few engineers do site surveys and give you a quote. IMHO you may have several factors in each location that will effect how you proceed.

Dan C

Mookie,

The only answer is to go with QTelNet. Check out their website for diagrams that show exactly what you are looking for. You can add their gateways to your exisiting systme and do not need to forklift everything that you have already, its a simple add on.

Joshua Wold

Mookie.

I’d check out AltiGEn for SMB and branch office implemenation. You can implement IP gateways as suggested, but there’s very minimal integration that way and really only provides toll savings. We often find the operational benefits of integrated IP solutions outweigh cost savings.

Thanks.

Joshua

Dan C to Joshua

When I have implemented these VoIP gateways they integrate into the existing systems seemlessly and all features of a PBX are extended to the remote users or offices as well. What more integration do you need?

Joshua Wold

Good question Dan. I agree, the IP gateways are great ways to extend existing PBX functionality.

When a call is sent over the IP Gateway to an endpoint, its my impression the PBX does it in a call forwarding type scenario. Meaning the PBX cannot detect if the endpoint is busy or RNA. Obviously many PBX’s can perform alternative call handling based upon busy or RNA such as rolling over the call to an alternative location(s), placing the caller in Q, etc. In a gateway scneraio, I believe I lose that ability for the PBX to make high level judgement calls about call handling as the PBX isn’t in complete control of the call.

That is at least my impression, but would love your feedback.

Thanks.

Dan C to Joshua

Actually it works the totally opposite, the PBX does know when the line is in use. So for example the last one I installed was a simple telecommuter. We added an FXO to a line card port off a Nortel KSU as an extension. The calls come through and are forwarded automatically to the remote worker seemlessly. If they do not answer the call in 4 rings it is then bounced back to the in house voice mail, and secondly if the person is on the line the receptionist can see that from ths busy lamp, same as is an other employee calls from within the office it shows “on another call” on their phones. The FXO gatway does not “pick up” the call until the other end answers. It is more or less passing it through when it goes off hook then makes a connection when the IP phone on the other end picks up. So the remote user also can page the building, do voice calls, transfer calls, conference ETC everything that a user within the building can do. We just supply them with the analog feature commands for the Nortel.

I think I have answered your question in long form ,but simply no you do not loose high level PBX features from what I know at least or have experienced. NOw this is on the QTelNet gateways, I can not speak for other products as I have only used them in lab tests when deciding what product line to carry and these guys won hands down.

If you want to contact me offline I can be reached at dan_c06@yahoo.com

Joshua Wold

Thanks Dan, helpful, I will check out that Gateway you mentioned. My company works with IP-PBX’s so we don’t implement independent gateways as the PBX runs it. However, I’ll look into this as a possiblity for clients with existing legacy type system who would like to make use of existing infrastructure. Thanks for the feedback.

If you want to get ahold of myself, email is josh_wold@hotmail.com.

Thanks.

Odunayo

Please what is the full meaning of PBX and its main uses.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.