Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Voip from US to South America

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Vijay Ramnarine

how can a service be implimented?

Patrick Gannon

Broadband satellite service is one option to consider. There are enterprise class broadband services available that do a great job of minimizing jitter and latency, supporting QoS and CIR (committed information rate) and other features to produce toll quality voice.

Vurcos

Your question is extremely broad. Could you please tell me about the location in South America?

thx,
    Vurcos

Vijay Ramnarine

The location is to the north around the Guianas. Can someone tell me who i can contact for the broadband sattelite and also what else i need and where to find them or an article?

Vurcos to Vijay

I did a brief search on http://www.google.com for Sattalite Providers in Guianas and found a few listings. Please conduct your own search to verify.
    Are you thinking of providing VoIP service? how many end-points are you looking at starting with? This will better assist me to assist you.

thx,
    Vurcos

Patrick Gannon

Regarding satellite service – check out http://www.bsatellite.com

Vijay Ramnarine

thanks for the prompt replies.

This is the story,
    I want to have a service for people in the us to be able to call in the guianas,
    you pic your phone up, u dial into my computer in the us, it prompts for you to dial your destination number, everything goes through the internet, to guiana where it then dials the local number, i would like about 100 users but only about 20 simultaneously

Vurcos

So do you have an IP provider for Guianas? if so I have someone who can help you startup. You can run a pilot program with them to start with no or little initial cost. Please email me if interested.

thx,

Vurcos

vijay ramnarine

well actually i live in the guianas so i will be doing that part on my own

Eddie

Essentially this is a broad outline of how it would work. You will need a local PSTN (tel #) access number in the US to which your clients will dial. Calls to this number will hit your US gateway, so you will require an IP address, internet access and appropriate bandwidth to handle 20 concurrent calls. Your US gateway then sends the call over the internet to Guianas, this is where Satellite internet becomes relevant, as I presume the local telecoms infrastructure cant handle your requirements. You will require a local gateway, an IP address, internet access and local PSTN number for your Guianas gateway to dial the destination through, You have to bill your clients somehow so will need a billing system.

So in a nutshell you will require the following:
    Gateways x 2
    IP addresses x2
    Internet access (US and Guianas)
    PSTN access (US and Guianas)
    Billing System

Now be advised, satellite access doesnt come cheap

Affers

Hold it a minute. I just browsed this web site as I have an interest in this sort of technology.I would say talk to your SP regarding the latency on the sat system, and then check the ITU specs for VOIP.

We just took sats out of three sites and all we were doing was VPN with telnet data!

‘Nuff said.

Vijay Ramnarine

do i have to look for a specific type of gateway, a voip gateway or something?
    also, does the IP have to be fixed?

is there a website or book i can read?

Noname

You do not need two gateways. The way that most people do, they get a gateway for the site in South America. They collect the calls, do the billing and pay a service provider in the U.S. to handle the calls.

What you need:

1) One gateway, as many lines as you need. If you could afford the price of the local phone company, go E1 service (30 channels). If you need to start small, something like 8 analog lines will do.

2)Internet bandwith/access. Get at least 15-20 kb per call that you are planning to pass trought.
    Static I.P. address are not mandatory, but will help a lot. Try to get static if you could afford it.

3)A billing system with IVR. That will be the mostr expensive and hard to find part. Many crooks out there pedling ilegal copies of somebody else software. Be aware!!!!!

4)Local phone lines. Analog or digital depending of the gateway selected. Try to go digital if posible

5)A provider that will give you the handling of the calls on the U.S. Many around.

The shorcut: Some providers will give you the billing and IVR if you send them the calls. You do not make as much money, but you could save yourself a lot of troubles. In that case, your gateway receives the calls from PSTN, converts them to VOIP and you get all the prompts and billing from the provider.

Good luck!!!!!!!!

Vijay Ramnarine

Hey, that helps alot, well i was doing some research and this is what i have available to use. In the US I have a Cable modem up to 1000 kbps. and unlimited lines, this is where i prefer the billing to be. In South America, i start with a DSL at 128Kbps with about 6 lines (all analog). Can someone tell me where to get the hardware, Cisco refuse to sell to me , they are refering me to the dealer in Brazil.

noname

Whatch out about the bandwith. Most providers will give you a lot of bandwith from the net to the user (downoload direction), but just a little bit from the user to the net.
    On VOIP ,you will need the same ammount of bandwith on both directions.
    The normal cable service, like the one that I am using right now provides about 1000 kb, or 1 mb from net to user.
    I only get about 350 kb the other direction.

The smallest number is what will dictate how many lines you could use simultaniusly.

128 kb should be O.K. for a Quintum analog A800, with eight lines.

Not top of the line hardware, but it works, have support and you could but it without breaking the bank account.
    `
    Good luck to you!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.