Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Number of PSTN lines required

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ben

Can anybody help me to determine a rough estimate for the number of PSTN lines required to connect X number of users to an other network having Y number of users?

I know it is depends on many factors, but if you take 2 average telcos in the US, what is the general rules for this?
    Also, is their a site where you can read/learn more about this issue?

Thanks for any help,
    B.

noname

You said rough estimate right???

O.K. Even a third world phone comapany, on a real tight budget will not go bellow 10 %. That is a farming comunity, where phones are used more for the emergency services than anything else.
    That means that out of a hundred users, only 10 could be talking at the same time.
    It is almost a perfect recipee to get you shot when you show up on that community on your phone company truck.

In small towns, out on the sticks noone on their right mind will go bellow 20-25 %. And that was before dial up internet.

All the way to 100 percent on a big metropolitan area, like downtown or financial district in a capital city.
    You could not afford to have banks blocked by teenagers chating to each other.
    As you could see, there is no streight answer to your question.
    You need to know how much they talk to know how many lines to install.

Ben

Right, good call.
    But imagine that I would like to connect two trunks. The interconnection is going to be used for regular phone services only.
    I kind of looking for an answer where there are two trunks that I want to connect, with X and Y number of users, and they make N number of calls a day and they speak for S number of minutes.

Isn’t there a formula for this?
    Thanks a lot for any help,
    B.

lucke@sky

Hi,
    Do you know about Earlang?
    Check this voip-calculator site.
    Here you got software to determine this issue. But complete all the info required.
    Regards,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.