Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

How many KB/MB are used per/min w/VOIP?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mike

How many Megabytes or Kilobytes are used in a 1 minute phone call using Voip (average)?

noname

Depending on the codec used, from 5.4 kb to 64 kb.if you use 64 kb ,you are running without compression, the same way that carriers had been doing it for 30+ years. if you use lower bit ratio ,you are compresing the voice, with the unavoidable decrese on quality.
    when you see that you are running 8 kb codec, remember that there is some overhead.
    On real life the normal bandwith goes from 10-12 kb per call and up to 15-20 kb with the overhead.
    At those rates you will be hard pressed to notice any diference on the quality of a call versus the normal PSTN network.

Jose Quintero

Mike,
    asuming tha the person will speak for a 1 minute witout silence.

You will have

Codec G.723.1 = 125 Kbytes
    Codec G.729 = 176 Kbytes
    Codec G.711 = 586 Kbytes

Regards

JIQ

chris

Jose, i use h323?

JOSE QUINTERO

Chris,

The codec does not depend of H.323.

Bu if yua are using H.323. Those will be the values

Regards

JIQ

chris

I use 729, but the carrier tells me that is about a meg a minute? my ISP allows 3000 megs a month. Is the itsp wrong in telling me 1M/min?

Tom H

No, your ISP are about right. After IP overheads, you can expect about 1.44Mb per minute (that’s megaBITS). This equals 180kB per minute (that’s kiloBITS).

Be careful not to confuse bit and bytes. I agree with Jose’s figures, but these are in bytes.

There are eight bits in a byte.

JOSE QUINTERO

Chris
    Tom is totally right
    Regards
    JIQ

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.