Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

What is the minimum BW for VOIP?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Asanee

I am working with a software product which use VOIP. The tech document claim the application only use 1.7kbps when transmit audio data.

However, once I start my own research on the internet, the voip-calculator.com state voip would take 16kbps+8kbps (overhead + 8kbps of G729)= 24kbps.

So, I do my own test using a software sniffer. I calculated BW when use voice only to 8kbps.

Now, I am very confuse….
    Please advice 🙂

noname

Depends in what you call good quality.For the voice service by itself, you have diferent “codecs” that could work from 5.3 kb, 6.0 kb,9.6, up to 32 kb.
    That is the voice only, After that you have the overhead, that could be up to two or three extra kilobits, depending on the equipment and codex.
    You do not get a proporcional gain in quality when you use more bandwith.
    With the new codecs, you will be hard presses to hear the diference betwen a 6kb compressed channel and a regular PSTN call.
    The rule of thumb is that you need around 12-15 kb per call that is active, plus minus 2 to 5 kb.
    Is is not a exact science like the old TDM, where you use the bandwith if you are talking or just transporting silence.

Gary

1.7KB/S? That’s a bit extreme, and I can’t begin to imagine what the quality of a call placed using that B/W might sound like. Using g729 codec with VAD and a byte size of 40 on Cisco gateways requires about 12.5KB/S. Good luck.

annabelle

Hi,
    Anyone out there knows of a free software that I can use to check bandwidth from the local ISP?

I suspect that the local ISP is giving me a smaller bandwidth than what is agreed in the contract.

Thanks.

noname

Annabelle or Ana, la bella. You could go to DSLreports.com. Go to the “Tools” section and select “speed test”
    You could build a table with your speed test every day and comapre to other users on the same service around the area or around the country.
    The best test found so far.
    Now, if anyone found a better one , I will try.

Asanee

Annabelle….

You may try MRTG and you could download from
    http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/

I’ve seen may networks admin use the MRTG and even my own company use this to monitor the BW in/out the ISP and my company.

Cheers!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.