Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

IP phones at home

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    S-E

Patrizia, thats a very good idea you got there, yes indeed. But allot of people will not share their connections, making it unfair to the other people.

Also, before there are 80.000.000 sharers, the phone connections will be VERY unstable, because people will restart computers, disconnect, do this that, you will lose your HOT SPOTS. And 500m doesn’t seem to be a great distance. What if your in a plane, or on a train, or in the rural ereas…

Nonethe less i subscribed to your site. Also, I’d like to know how much the actual phone will cost Since membership is free. I read somewhere here 100$? but I’m not sure if it is correct.

Patrizia

Hi,

thanks for the support.
    I cannot tell you yet what the cost of the phone will be.
    It won’t be cheap. But as usual the price depends on what you are expecting.

It must be a device that:

1)Acts as a wireless device by itself ( no need of a portable computer, it must work as a phone.)

2) Compresses the voice and sends it on the NET already as ” packets”.
    That is done with a chip.

With the usual Sip phones, you use the computers to do most of the job.

The algorithm behind is a new and much better one than the existing software.
    That also won’t come cheap.

We are discussing a price around $200, $250.

We started from double, so, it is already a very good price in my opinion.
    Only the people who will have a “Hot Spot” will be allowed to use the community. And the “Hot Spot” must be active 24 hours a day.

You do not even need a computer. Just connect the Access point to your line. ( of course you can use the line while you or somebody else is calling, it consumes max. 20k a normal call)

Besides, I was thinking: who will mostly use it?

The people in their own house or when they are on vacation.
    The first scenario is of course easily handled, the second one will be.
    Offering a Hot Spot to a restaurant or hotel or touristic point will cost less than air conditioning and may be bring more customers.

In a plane you can always use the airline phone ( if you can afford it)
    On a train you will have to use a GSM phone (except in Sweden, England or Germany, where they already started to establish the WiFi for the railway).
    Regarding the rural areas : in some you will be covered in some not (depending where the people/users installed an Access Point).

I cannot and will not promise you that on the first day you have your IP portable phone, you will be able to use it wherever, however, whenever.

But if you have a girlfriend or a friend or a relative or somebody you want to talk to, with two phones ( and two access points in the case of the portable) you will.

In the early stages, the Internet connection was very expensive, the telephone line too, and the modems were very slow.

Nevertheless the Internet has grown at a speed not comparable with anything else.

Beware. I won’t say that it will happen the same with VOIP.
    What I say is:

Most of the people and businesses of today have two lines: a data line and a voice line.

VOIP will cut the need for a voice line. Beginning from few adepts and growing more and more.
    My project is just a thought how to be able to use a portable phone in a scenario in which no big company would invest to build a replica of the existing one.
    First for the sum involved second for the reduced revenues.

Besides, if somebody invests in infrastructures, they want to have a revenue, and they would have to charge for telephone calls.

This won’t bring us anywhere.
    We would have a new Telecom and very little control of it.
    The people nowaday are very much used to shut their mouths and open their pocket.

My idea, as utopistic as it can sound, was to do exactly what everybody did when it came to build the Internet.
    Everybody put his pages on the Net, connected to it with a modem or whatever and began to communicate.

At that time GSM was something very few people used and wireless was a word many didn’t understand.

Today everybody has one or more portable phone(s) and is kind of addicted to it.
    The scenario has changed and the Internet must change.

This is MY OPINION, right or wrong as it can look.
    Everybody of course is entitled to have his own.
    You can believe in it or not.
    It can be succesful, it can fail.

I also see it as a good chance to have a minimum control over a Market where few bigs dictate their laws.
    Don’t forget it is the people who make the economy, and the people are the ones who should have power on it.
    It is time we begin to understand.
    The Internet is the revolution of our century.
    Because is the only big, innovative thing that has been born in our time, and it was made mainly by the people on the road.
    The big ones ( including Bill Gates) were laughing about it.

( but he soon changed his mind )

Hope I have convinced you, if not, may be somebody else…

Patrizia

Robert

Hello guys…

I`d like to offer VOIP services using the ATA 186 in the client side.

In case I have more than 100 clients using the ATA 186, I am supposed to have others 100 ATA 186 in my office ??? Is there any central device or router to inter connect to 100 ATA of the client to the T1 the telco provides me in the office.

Tnx…

Naser

Hi Robert
    You do not need 100 ATA’s in pair. all you need is a CISCO Router with the T1 Interface and Gateway. you can also install the linux based server Asterisk to do the job.

Franc

I am looking for a VoIP type call center /CRM solution based on linux *
    Does anyone have an idea of such development?
    Thanks

Usman

Franc please check this it may be of some interest to you

http://www.asterisk.org/

Muarrij

You guys might be interested in a a great new product for VOIP calls. Peer to Peer.

http://www.skype.com

🙂

Trent

Anyome know how to unblock the ATA186 or where to get information? Cisco web site is of no help.

Noname to Trent

If the normal procedure , that is picking up the first line, and dialing the reset code does not work, you may have one of those that was previusly used to get service from a provider that requested to Cisco that their units are locked.
    Ther are no good known ways to do it.

The descriptons that i found in how to do it are just incredible. You will need a cray computer and $20.000 worth of craking equipment to pull that one off.

ATA186

Hi,

I am using the following scenarion:
    D-Link 302 ADSL Modem –> ATA186–GK, the problem is that the ATA186 is getting the Public IP but ita not register to the GK.

Thanks in Advance

James

Aslam

Hi,

Would somebody be able to send me by e-mail the ATA186US.EXE file and
    the image file ata18x-v2-15-020927a.zip (or later)?

E-mail: memonaslam@yahoo.com

I recently bought CISCO ATA-186 from an online retailer. The problem
    seems to be that the device was shipped with the image supporting the
    MGCP connectivity and not the H323 connectivity that I need.

I am unable to download the software from Cisco because it requires a
    registration (logon and password) and according to Cisco’s technical
    support whom I contacted, I am not entitled to register since I’m not
    a reseller.

Thank you!

Mark

The problem I see you have Patrizia is cost, certainly in the UK. The cost of calling both for mobile and fixed has come down dramatically. Your £200 investment in the devise and base station would take nearly 2 year to recoup. I base this on my wifes pay as you go mobile (no monthly charge, only call charges) assuming call cost 10ppm and an average of 20mins per week. If you assume some of calls replace fixed calling the situation is worse (national calls for 2ppm and to the USA for 2.5ppm).
    The value of the proposition is to replace expensive WiFi access (T-mobile in Starbuck is £5ph).
    The voice calling would add value to the proposition. You should talk about integrated communications, not voice and data.
    Also worth noting is Skype is planning to enable WiFi capability on its peer2peer voice platform.
    Not saying it is not a bad idea, just some of the challenges I see.

TecHead

Agreed Mark, recon this why VoIP ain’t taken off – Cost of pots voice is down, cost of entry to VoIP is either high or low quality and/or low feature…..great to play with, but not for me mum.

Patrizia

Hi Mark,

I understand your point.
    When you talk of an average of 20 minutes per week, or even 20 minutes per day, local and national calls, I agree.

I think VoIP is for people who have to use the telephone a lot.
    It is like faxing.
    What was the use of buying a fax machine if you didn’t have the need to fax? ( you would think that 80% of the people would use the fax machine so few times that it wasn’t worth to buy one)
    Nevertheless the fax machine business was a huge business.

Because it gave you the freedom to fax when and how you liked.
    As an Ip phone. It gives you the freedom to call whenever and for how long you like, without having the hassle to look at the watch.
    And that I can assure you is unpayable.

And it is true VoIp is not so succesful in Europe, but for example in USA or Canada it is very succcesful.
    Without talking of Africa, India, Bangladesh, all East of Europe.
    You have no idea how expensive is to call there. And you do not even have infrastructures and phones.
    Who is going to invest millions in GSM masts for villages of 2000 people ( who cannot even afford to pay the rates)?
    There investing 1000$ dollars in ifrastructures gives what they call a high ROI.
    In Europe, as usual, we will wake up later.

Regards

patrizia

Bassem

I am looking for a reliable for Quintum Tenor DX2060 for my network with a billing solution.

Looking forward to hear from you urgently

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.