Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Avaya IP phone with Cisco Call Manager

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Dunce

Hello, I am wondering if anybody has had any luck getting an Avaya IP phone to work with Cisco Call Manager. Any tips on how to do this? From what I understand, this should be possible if the Avaya IP phone is configured as H.323 client in Call Manager. Specific steps would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

Nope

How do you figure that Avaya and Cisco VOIP will be compatible at all? Yet.

Lynn

This can be accomplished with the use of a dongle that Avaya has manufactured–the reason that it won’t work without is the difference in the power supply…

Wrong

The dongle enables the Avaya IP Phones to receive power from a Cisco Catalyst switch.

It does not enable Avaya VOIP protocols, authentication and etc to translate to a Cisco Call Manager environment.

vivek

Hi dunce
    i have been working on Avaya platform for long now and i do not see the possibility of avaya phones working behind cisco the reason being Avaya phones run the DCP protocol proprietary to avaya on the top of the standard h.323 protocol. so the avaya phones will not get registered on the call manager. May be if u have a network analyser u can see the protocols and get a better idea.
    regards,
    vivek

Morgan de Ruiter

Well we have done it in Amsterdam, in fact the Call Manager is the only platvorm who can enable H323 devices including AVAYA.

( I am a former AVAYA employee so dont worry, it will work)

vivek

Morgan,
    we tried to make the microsoft netmeeting work behind Avaya ip switch. But it did not work. I have tried many non avaya ip endpoints but none of them get registered on Avaya. I think u are the right person to throw some light on the topic.
    regds
    vivek.

dunce

Hello guys, thanks for your replies. I am glad to see the discussion! Morgan, if you could post the configuration steps or send them in an email (phuktya@indiatimes.com), that will help a lot!
    FYI, I have not been able to get the Avaya IP phones to directly “register” with Cisco Call Manager OR get the Avaya IP phone to work as H.323 client. Here’s what works for me:
    1) You can configure a H.323 IP Trunk between an existing CM cluster and Avaya S8300 (or S8700 for that matter) and get calls working in both directions.
    2) Ditto for supplementary services.

vivek

dunce,
    an ip trunk working is pretty okay. No big deal.I had already tested this. But the real problem is making a non avaya h.323 endpoint register onto the avaya ip switch and similarly making avaya ip phones register on to cisco call manager. Any one else who can throw light on this wud be a gr8 help.
    adios
    vivek

Morgan de Ruiter

Well, it depence on what you want.
    Cisco use their Skinny protocol on there IP Phones, but……….. it is still a H323 device. The same go’s for the AVAYA phones.
    All vendor use their on top protocols to activate there extra features on the phones.
    The trick is to use the phones just as a H323 device. This means that you lose the extra phone features but you will be able to use the phone as it is a netmeeting device.
    For the call manager go in to the device section and choose the h323 device option as endpoint and you can connect any device.
    There is a pdf avalable on the Cisco site how o do this.

vivek

Hi guys,
    I have two ip endpoints (hardphones or softphones). I want to measure the point to point bandwidth utilization between these end points. Is there any software tool available for free on the web that can be used to do this.
    regards
    vivek

dunce

Morgan, can you please give us the link to that PDF? I don’t think it is possible to treat the Avaya phone as a H323 end point (such as Netmeeting) to register with Cisco Call Manager…however I would love to be wrong and get this working:-)

Eliza

dunce,

I am trying to make Netmeeting call Cisco IP phones via Cisco Callmanager.After configuring,it still not works.I am trying to find what’s wrong on my callmanager configuration.This is my reference document on Cisco.It may be what you are looking for.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00800c2fa3.html#1095989

Anand

Hi,

I am trying to call a PSTN phone from a NetMeeting.
    If I make that call through a cisco GW, it works fine.
    But if I try to make a call from NetMeeting -> Cisco Call Manager -> Cisco GW -> PSTN Phone, it fails.

Cisco Call Manager replies with a RELEASE to a SETUP message from the NetMeeting.

Do I need to register the NetMeeting to the Cisco Call Manager?

Thanks

www.blue-lava.co.uk

Anand,

It sounds like a codec mismatch netmeeting only supports g723 6.3kbs what codec is being used on the cisco?
    dwray@blue-lava.co.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.