Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

VOIP using Satellite anyone done it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peter

Hi

I wanted t see who has already played wit Vsat or sat internet with Voip. Also whatequiptment was used.

Thanks

Peter

Marshall

I design PBX networks and have a VoIP lab for evaluation of VoIP for my company.

I use to setup video conferences and backup PBX links using Satellites. I have not done any VoIP over Satellites but the equipment was a T1 (digital tie trunks) from the PBX to a echo cancellor and then to a MUX and then a Satellite modem that was limited to about 768Kbps. The MUX was a propriatary 8Kbps packets with silent suppression. We sustained delays of over 160ms which people do not like. I belive VoIP will be similar. The Router will simply take the place of the MUX. IP will add more delay – at least 40ms more.

Peter

Hello Marshall

Thank you for the info. What do you think of the accelrators that some of the sat modems companies say that sould take care of the problem.

Peter

James Wilson

I have 6 Cisco 7960 IP Phones in The Netherland Antillies over Satellite and then public IP to Atlanta without a problem. The ping is 500ms but sounds better than a PSTN call and has American dial tone.

James Wilson
    DOWnetworks.com

John Holloway

Jim

we talked before on the phone. What modulation are you using on the satellite link? Are you compressing the xmission. Can I get a diagram of the link from the Antillies through the Atlanta spaceport.

John Holloway
    Senior C4I Analyst

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.