Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Diff. bet. Fwd and Bkwd bearer set up

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bipin

Hi All,
    Can any one tell me the essential difference between the forward and backward bearer call set up methods, and which one is the preferred one under which circumstances.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Bipin

R

not sure what you mean here…perhaps you can clarify…are you talking about forward and backward indicators in R2 type signaling or something else?

Bipin

Hi R,
    The context of my question is VoATM rather the SVC setup procedures as described in RFC 3108, it describes two methods for bearer set up in ATM network using MEGACO, but I feel is that these terms are more generic and are not related to only MEGACO SDP, and i feel that these terms have been taken from the ISUP standards (at least thats what the 3G specs say) but my question is that why is the need for two different methods and under what scenarios do we use them.

R

OIC…now i understand.

This is just SDP methods not Megaco, theoretically it can be used on any signalling that uses SDP.

This is used for the example in rfc3108. Bearers are not always initiated from the originating end. If i have announcements from the termi8ing end that need to come through prior to the call connecting, a backwards sdp is viable. I think the idea here is flexibility. I will verify with one of the authors though if there is a burning need, post your email and I can talk to some folks…youve piqued my interest. 🙂

Bipin

Hi R(what kind’o’name is it :-)),
    ANyways, thanks for the reply.
    U have mentioned one probable use for using the backward bearer set up, what could be those announcements ? if u could clarify, but still what my concern i regarding setting up a SVC using MEGACO MGW, and I was planning to have the MG support both the modes but what I am still not able to appreciate is the need or a possible scenario for the application of the two possible methods. I would be thankful if u could throw more light on the two methods and is it that these two methods are specific to ATM as 3108 is ATM SDP or do we have them in other callsetup protocols as well and what are those protocols ?
    Waiting for your Reply.
    Regards
    Bipin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.