Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Microcontroller based standalone voip

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bark

Hello

Me and my varsity partner are undertaking a project to design and possibly implement a simple voice over ip system based on a coldfire microprocessor. We are trying to decide (and are quite devided in opinions) which protocol would be best suited to this application, SIP or H323.

If you can think of anything else that would be of use to us please tell:)

Tom Howard

There was a discussion about this recently on this forum. Click here to read it. Essentially, SIP is text based and H.323’s encoding is much more complicated. Once an H.323 stack is built, it is very extensible and robust. But building it is a huge task.

Good luck.

Bark

Thanks. It was an interesting read however I dont quite understand what is meant by SIP being text based. Can someone explain this to me?

cheers

Tom Howard

It means that with SIP, all messages are sent as ascii text. Using a sniffer, it is very easy to read what’s going on. A typical message might be:

INVITE: sip:tom@howard.com SIP/2.0

With H.323, all this information is encoded into a more bandwidth effecient stream, and cannot easily be interpreted without software.

Mark

Ive decided to use a SIP protocol. Would it be of any advantage to create a program on top of an OS such as uClinux?

thanks for the help

peter

Hi Bark

I been looking into same thing myself. I have found chip maker thathas thewhole DSP part done if you give email I willcontact you about it.

danny

Would and could someone give the same info DSP chip maker that has the code already done…..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.