Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

VOIP using Satellite Internet access

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Frank

I need some info on VOIP using Satellite internet access. I want to create a VPN over the sat Internet and use VOIP also. I am concern about delay due to the distance the signal have to travel. Can anyone tell me if I can create an acceptable VOIP network over satellite internet access? If so, how?

Samatar

It would be really helpful if someone can comment on this one because I am interested in the same thing too. Also how far can the satelite signal go. Can you install the Satelite on one country where the central hub is located on another country or on another continent.

Thanks

Samatar

David Eshelman

You would need to utilize a hardware accelerated VPN to keep delays low, if this is a duplex satellite link there would be about a 500millisecond delay round-trip

This is completely possible. It’s in use now…. There are multiple commercial satellites that can be utilized for this purpose and you can reach pretty much any country in the world from the USA (with the exception of a few, as the look angle is too low)

Frank

I know some satellite company offer VOIP using satellite but I believe their prices are a little above what I’m willing to spend. I wanted utilize a cheaper Satellite system and create a VPN and utilize that VPN to send voice calls. I want to connect 2 company phone system over that satellite.

David

satellite space is very expensive… and you get what you pay for… (as the old saying goes…)

Sajjad

Dear David

any sugested satellite company for pakistan for VOIP

David

well according to this site i can’t post it here… they even deleted my message about the directory listing which is on their site…
    but you can email me deshelman@crawford.com

Tommy

Anyone know how much is the performance different compare 2MB satellite and 2MB ADSL, which one is better.

R

Tommy,
    If the satellite link is symmetric, you will be able to get more calls through but your trade off is delay.
    I never heard of 2MB ADSL…but it could just be my ignorance. I am assuming when you say this is ADSL you mean Asymmetric i.e. higher download rate than upload.

VoIP is symmetric.

David

Tommy,

That depends on a lot of factors, like R said… if it is SDSL then that would be ideal.

But what are the cost differences? do you get static ips? what kind of SLA do you get on a DSL line compared to Satellite?

with a duplex satellite link you will have about ~600ms delay RTT

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.