Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Difference between IP Telephony and VoIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Varchas Ramila Subrahmanya

Could anyone tell me what’s the difference between IP telephony and VoIP. Are they synonymous? I feel that IP telephony is a smaller subset of VoIP dealing with the inter-operability of IP and PSTN. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

Rommel

IP Telephony is a marketing term, VoIP is a like term dealing with the type of technology.

IP Telephony has come to mean various things.

It started out as IP Phone based deployments, and has come to mean VoIP.

VoIP is always what it has been, voice over IP.

To answer you question, Yes, kinda synonymous depending who you talk to.

martin

it’s a moot point rather like the ‘softswitch’ term. I have always interpreted ‘IP telephony’ as being pure IP from handset to handset, as rommel says, whereas VoIP involves the use of gateway devices to convert digital/analog voice to IP packets.

However I agree that the terms have become interchangeable, maybe erroneously.

Hamid

VoIP and IP Telephoney are used interchangeably.

Its basically, Voice over RTP over UDP over IP over Layer2.
    Now the question is that what will be your Layer2. Is it ATM, FR, X.25, etc.

BIpin

One very basic difference – In VoIP, the user is oblivious of the fact that his voie is actually being carried over IP. Hence the POTS telephone instrument at his/her house remains the same, where as the difference is only at the back end, while in IP telephony u communicate through your COmputer of any other H323 terminal

luscent

how does ip telephoney work exactly

Billy

I tend to refer to VoIP as the transport and IP telephony dealing with the technologies providing end services, such as handsets, softphones, VXML applications, etc.

Rommel

The ITU has defined IP Telephony and VoIP as interchangable. I am not saying they are right, but in that standards organization it is the accepted meaning.

Marshall

IP Telephony is becoming a Superset of VoIP. VoIP is more specific of voice transport. IP Telephony is broader and includes CTI applications. Sending the CDR over IP is an IP Telephony application but it is not VoIP.

Marketing types are bending the rules.

Marshall: I did not understand what sending cdr over IP means? What is CDR?Sorry for this dumb question…

Jose Quintero

It´s simple

IP TElephony is an applcationof VoIP

Regards

Then what are the other applications of VoIP Jose?
    Regards

Jose Quintero

Varchas,

Here some:

CTI Applicactions, Voice Portal, Web Call center, Click and Talk, Class IV replacement, Class V replecement, etc.

POrtal Web

Suresh

CDR is Short of Call Detail Record used for Billing and tracking is that right Marshall

omprakash dubey

see. Ip telephone is Diff. VOIP is diff its all depend upon tech.which
    you are using.in VOIP only simple
    phone we can use. but in IPtele.we
    use VIOP+IPphone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.