Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Regarding Voice over IP

• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 22 years ago by Dwayne P. Shrum.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Arun

Hi,

Our office is located in two buildings. Currently both the buildings are connected in LAN using Wireless Network. We need to connect our telephone phone system between two buldings using Voice over IP in the same network (i.e. LAN).

We need some help on this:
    1. What are the different ways to connect between the buldings.
    2. If it is VoIP then What equipment we neet to setup the VoIP.
    3. Can anybody provide that to whom we need to contact to buy the equipment and setup the VoIP installation.

Please help on this.

Thanks,
    Arun.

Tabratas Tharom

Good question,

1. You don’t have to use wireless..
    There are many ways, such as laser, ordinary cabling is enough…(for transmission medium)
    For transmission method, you have no need to use VoIP, if it takes lot of money…You have to study your telecommunication cost before

2. The equipments are a lot…
    Do you have PABX ? If yes, you need signalling gateway, for better quality: voice gatekeeper maybe needed, etc…learn about it much from http://www.iptelephony.org or http://www.cisco.com

Rick Gallaher

Hi Arun,

I would like to recommend G-Etherenet between buildings with fiber if you can. If not wireless line of sight using 802.11b with spread spectrum.

I would also recoomend that you use Vlans to separate out your high priority real-time Voice traffic from your routine e-mail and HTTP traffic. Please looking a policy based system for bandwidth control and policing.

Feel free to write me for vendor recommendations

Yours truly,
    Rick Gallaher

Dwayne P. Shrum

Hi Arun,

First, do you need VoIP or can you use T-1 interfaces directly between the two switches? The reason I ask is that I have prepared several proposals and engineered a few schemes comparing the two. Right now, VoIP seems more expensive even when you factor in a multi-site situation (i.e. more than 3 sites).

If you don’t have to have VoIP – do compare the pricing. You can use copper or fiber for either solution. I know this is a forum that pushes VoIP but when it isn’t economically feasable, it just doesn’t make sense.

[Webmaster’s note: It’s not really true to say that this site pushes VoIP. In fact, our white paper The Drivers for Voice over IP takes quite a skeptical view. So, I agree with the cautious approach that you suggest :-)]

If you have to use VoIP for some reason, then I would first check with the mfg of the phone switch equipment (PBX, Key System, or Hybrid system) and see what VoIP interfaces they support with your current telephony hardware. You may find that you only need an interface card or two per switch that will give you an Ethernet interface with 4 or more virtual VoIP circuits. The next step would be how to interconnect the two Ethernet intefaces. If you hop them onto any existing LAN’s, then you will need to configure your LAN so that bandwidth for the two switches are guaranteed somehow. You can use VLAN, Packet Priority, or IP Subnetting techniques to do this. I would probably just vote for the KISS method and use a private Ethernet 10/100/1000 switch on both ends with Gig Ether fiber SX between the two on. If that is too cost prohibitive for just the two switches then I would look at VLANing them and using the Etherswitches for my other Data also on another VLAN.

Hope this gives you some ideas…

Dwayne

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.