Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

VoIP better than VoFR?

• This topic has 6 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 22 years ago by Dwayne P. Shrum.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vivek

Hi guyz, can anyone tell me how can i prove that voip is better than voFR…. in other words, what are the advantages of voip vis a vis voice over frame relay which can convince a customer to go for voip. Also if any one of you can suggest me some websites which show a comparison chart kind of a thing, i would be obliged,
    adios and thanx in advance,
    vivek.

lenad

Use as an argument fact that with VOIP you can utilise dinami bandwith Allocation , but not fr.

steve

the voip industry is very hot right now!!!!

What kind of things are you doing?

vivek

Hi steve,

I work for a company which is business partner of Avaya communications in India. Nowadays I’m working on the testing compatability of H.323 endpoints with our IP PBX.

whats up on ur side
    adios,
    vivek

Taa

What is your real question? Which standard is wildspread? SIP,H.323…

Peter Thomsen

Hi Vivek.

The FR Forum are going away from native VCoFR and the new upcoming things will be that your voice must be encapsulated in IP and then over FR. You need the FRF11 or even better FRF12 standards to carry voice over FR. The bigger vendors will, on VoIP, support both H.323 and SIP. SIP is the emerging standard from ETSI and 3GPP for UMTS or 3G mobile telephony. With UMTS Rel.5, it is pure IP, no more Circuit Switched. Put your money on VoIP, not over FR, but native IP. With the emerging CoS and QoS coming up for IP, you will not have a problem (MPLS, DiffServ etc.). The latest gig is AToM, All Traffic over MPLS, where you can carry IP, PPP, HDLC and ATM (AAL5 and AAL2).

Have a great day.
    Peter.

Dwayne P. Shrum

The most obvious factor as to why VoIP is “better” is cost. If you impliment a VoFR solution, and never consider VoIP as a posibility, you will end up with equipment, configuration, and lines setup for only your voice application. Non-voice data can’t use the paths since there is no routable traffic. It is the common use of the data infrastructure (i.e. IP WAN) that helps to justify the costs when it carries both classes of service. True that there are additional burden’s placed on the MIS folks to get the proper net in place and working, but if used properly, will save money in the mid term.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.