Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Packet duration

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brett Shaffer

This is probably a simple question but could someone explain to me the xx milliseconds (x samples)- mainly what this relates to and how can I check what millisec/samples I am doing now. Thanks in advance for your time.

Voip Calculator Webmaster

Hello,

Our online calculators (http://www.voip-calculator.com/calculator/) have a packet duration field which refers to the length of voice samples that are buffered up until they are transmitted in an IP datagram. The overhead in VoIP is the bandwidth required by the TCP/IP/RTP headers, and these are sent for every datagram. Obviously, the longer the voice samples are buffered before sending, the fewer header will be transmitted per second, and the more bandwidth efficient the system is. The trade off is that by holding back voice samples, the end to end delay of the system increases, and voice is very sensitive to delay.

A typical figure is 20ms, which results in 50 datagrams being sent per second. The second part of the parameter shows the number of actual voice samples which that duration includes. This is a function of the coding algorithm used. For example, G.729A samples voice once every 10ms. So a 20ms packet duration means that each datagram hold two voice samples.

To find out which packet duration or frequency you use, you will need to check your system configuration, or ask the manufacturer or maintainer.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.