Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

How to implement VOIP ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ronald Huizer

Hi,

Ik like to know whether I can introduce VOIP in a traditinal call centre environment, and how it is depended on the call centre infrastructure, the network connetion and the customer ‘s equipement. What are the minimal requirements for VOIP with qulaity comparable with traditional voice?

Ronald

Carlos Alcocer

Dear WebMaster,

I have a question: Every body knows that a phone exchange is used for switching the calls. And there is two way to make phone switching: spatial and temporal switching.

Now, in the world of IP Telephony.

1. Where is the switch?
    2. How is made the switching?
    3. What are the standards supporting this kind of switching?
    4. How are the PTT carries doing IP telephony switching?

I have my own opinion and I would like to know if I am in the right way.

1. The switch is the Gatekeeper, who makes the routing, generates the information for the billing, and so on.
    2. The switching is made by the filtering of the IP datagrams, that are broadcasting in the respective network.

Thanks for your reply,
    Carlos Alcocer.

VoIP Calculator Webmaster

Hi,

I’m not an expert in this myself yet, but here is what I think:

Traditional switches can still be used in VoIP. VoIP could be thought of as a transport medium, with the switching elements remaining unchanged.

But, with IP phones, within a LAN, calls can be switched using Ethernet switches or concentrators in wiring closets (each IP phone having a unique IP address).

The Gatekeeper doesn’t really switch, although it does have a control function, provides access control and address translation (where necessary).

I don’t know how carriers are switching (but I suspect that not many are!).

As for standards: there are many relating to VoIP. H.323 (with Q.931) and SIP provide the signalling and control. I think these two standards are tending to converge, but H.323 is more popular with carriers, and SIP is more common on the enterprise. There are many other protocols involved in control and transmission.

We will be adding links to such documents in our new searchable VoIP Directory (more on that in a week or two). We will also present some technical papers on the protocols, although initially, these will concentrate on transission.

If you have signed up for our newsletter (see form on home page), then we’ll email you with progress reports.

Best regards,
    VoIP Calculator Webmaster (TOM).

Florian Krueger

Hi Ronald,

the big advantage of VoIP is that most of its engines is software based.
    Besides regular switches, routers and gateways you have to -technically- only look at your firewalls and your T1 connection. A very important point if you want to have remote agents, or if you are planning to offer some carrier services to your customers, is the delay rate.

But in addition to these technical issues, it’s much more important to take a close look at the strategically important parts, like the quality management, the HR-planning and training process and the very important changes in the managament because of a different workflow and a different approach to the business.

Best wishes to your projects.

Florian Krüger

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Voice over IP’ is closed to new topics and replies.