Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Why -48V is used as power for telecom?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ahmad

Though this topic has already been discussed, I’d like to get cleared about the fact that “Why -48V is used as power for telecom eqipments?”

Abdalla Sammour

I think that you meant by your question why the negative voltage is used, if so my answer is the chemical effect is less than positive voltage.
    regards

waleed

i think -48v is used instead of 24v because we have high loaded power to decrease the loaded current and lowering the power supply cable thickness(24vdc used in the bts back up battery).

Sanjeev

Sammour u r right , negative voltage is used to reduce the corrision

Ahmad

Can some experts answer for this question..

waleed

sorry dear ahmad i miss understand your question, I thought you are asking about the voltage (why 48 instaead 24)not why – 48and not + 48,in case of -48 the +ve polarity is connected to the ground(equipment chassise)and the dc current flows from +ve to -ve so in this way the we will avoide this current stream carring distortion and interference to log in the electronic circuits gaining high reliability and pure DC supply.

Ahmad Anas

As for as I’ve heard, -ve volt is used because to avoid any interfernce due to noises as noise voltages used to be in positive side. Why 48V is used?

Vijay

Ahmad, dont go mad on it, 🙂 actually there was no technical reason behind it. Bell first used 48 v bcoz they used 4 batteries of 12 volts , that time only 12 volts batteries were common so they used it. Now every body following them thats all.

Regards

Pankaj

You should also keep this in mind that all of USA uses 24 (+Ve) system not 48 (-Ve) system. Hence all the arguments do not really hold much grounds. these are two different systems, that’s all. the voltages had to be in the multiples of basic 2 V hence -48 V or 24 V, actually it turns out to be -54 V and +27V respectively. However there is one fact though, positive ground is more efficient then negative ground.

Harjeet

HI every body,
    I’m replying very late
    Sammour has rightluy pointed about chemical effect.
    Actually in olden days there was over head bare cables used for telephone systems & in order to reduce the chemical effect from halogens (which are the most one responsible for corrosion)which are -ve charged and are repelled by -ve voltage. Hence -V. The figure of 48 was taken becuse it was a compromise between safety (of electrocution) & power loss due to R of cables HENCE -48V

naglaa

can i put telephony cables with twinaxial cables in the same conduit?

manoj

Why -48V is preferred?

(i) Positive voltages cause comparatively more corrosion in metal than negative voltages.
    (ii) Negative voltages are safer for human body while doing Telecom activities.
    (iii) Lightning may cause positive voltages in the equipment circuitry. In that case, negative voltages (lack of electrons) neutralize positive charges and prevent excessive heat.
    (iv) Negative voltage is safer for long telephone line for transmitting power trough it.
    The reson for electing -48V in reference to ground is to avoid the nasty galvanic effects in telephone cabling. +48V would have nastier effect on wet cabling.

KJB

Agreed with Manooj:)

mahesh khandagde

To make returning power subside we r using -48 and 48 is just stander set by IEEE

Md. Balayet Hossain

Its shortly satisfied answer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.