Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

sending data using VHF

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hamza

hello,
    I have a project that consisted of transmitting data wirelessly from 15 tractors to a station, the maximum distance is 13 miles I used a raspberry pi 3 to collect data from tractors, with some research I found data there is no wifi or GSM coverage so the only solution is to use RF communication using VHF. so is that possible with raspberry pi or I must add a modem? if yes, what is the criterion for choosing a modem? and please if you have any other information tell me?
    and thank you for your time.

Wallis Dudhnath

Check if your area has 4G/LTE coverage. This will be more suited to handle bursts of data that can be processed by your central Server application. If not then a modem can be attached to your PI-3. The issue is the impact using VHF with other RF frequencies. Interference with other bands is a legal issue.

It is better to look at the PI-3 Community and check if an existing project can be re-used.

If your project is based in IOT – Internet of Things – using M2M then I will be glad to help.

VBR/ Wallis Dudhnath

hamza

thank you wallis for your replay, in this area there is no GSM or 4G coverage and even wifi coverage. I I have a licenced frequency (400Mhz).
    my project consists of sending localisation and speed of tractors and other information.
    thank you for your time

Wallis Dudhnath

Thanks for your update.

With PI-3 a modem should be added to support VHF. You have a licensed frequency so there should not be issues with your band causing issues with other frequency bands. I am sure you will be able to re-use a VHF Modem project from the PI-3 Community.

Your project is a good example of IOT.

VBR/ Wallis Dudhnath

hamza

thank you for your support wallis and good luck for you too 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.