Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

BTS Clock

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Danny

Hi,
    Kindly explain, In general, BTS generates its own Clk or use the internal Clk from BSC for synchronization? kindly share some basic document related to subject. Thanks.

Wallis Dudhnath

Hi Danny,

Does your Network have a Synchronisation master plan?

From experience two paths (for redundancy and resilience) is used to ensure that a stable “clock” signal can be propagated to each element in the Network. One source will be from an atomic “clock”.
    To reign in a fast node a PLL approach is used.

For BTS it will get a “clock” signal from a higher order element (BSC/MSC). If the “clock” signal is lost the element will become despotic, i.e. it will be at odds with the rest of the Network.

VBR/ Wallis Dudhnath

Danny

Thanks Mr. Wallis, kindly treat me as a novice & please explain in detail or share some basic level document related to topic. As per my understanding, BTS is expecting Clk from BSC/MSC & at BSC/MSC there is redundancy as internal/external clk.

Wallis Dudhnath

Hi Danny,

Tried to post an update using a URL. It failed as I feel that URLs are rejected by this site.

From Google do a search for Ericsson Review and Network Synchronisation. There is a pdf file that looks at Synchronisation.

VBR/ Wallis Dudhnath

Wallis Dudhnath

Synchronisation in Telecommunications networks (ISDN, Digital Networks, GSM, 3G, 4G, 5G, etc..) is the process of aligning the time scales of transmission and Switching Equipment (e.g. Stored Program Control nodes) so equipment operations occur at the correct time and in the correct order. Synchronisation requires the receiver clock to acquire and track the periodic timing information in a transmitted signal.

Poor synchronisation can lead to the following issues:-

– Degraded speech quality and audible clicks
    – Degraded data traffic throughput
    – Call setup
    – Incomplete Facsimile messages
    – Freeze-frames and audio pops on video transmissions
    – Call disconnects during mobile call hand-off
    – Partial or complete traffic stoppage
    – Corrupt data sessions for 3G/4G/5G
    – Errors placed in CDRs and Logs

A complete Network Synchronisation plan must be in place that looks at the Clocks (Stratum) used, Jitter and Wander
    parameters, Primary and Secondary Synchronisation Clock sources, etc.

Danny

I really appreciate your efforts, thanks a lot.

Wallis Dudhnath

Hi Danny,

This site does not allow URLs – XSS vector attacks.

If you look at a Computer there is a clock that is used to keep the whole system synchronised. The clock helps to operate the Fetch-Decode-Execute cycle. This is a property of a Digital system.

As a Telecommunication Network has evolved with PDH, ISDN, ATM, Ethernet, SDH, Digital Stored Program Control nodes, GSM, 3G, 4G and now 5G / IOT there has to be a tight control with how the Network is clocked and Synchronised.

It is very easy for a node in the Network to become despotic and to race ahead with it’s own clock frequency. Phase Locked Loop (PLL) is used to reign in a despotic node. This will cause issues as described in my earlier post.

To help a Network designer uses a stratum approach to source a stable (e.g. atomic clock) Synchronisation signal that can be cascaded to the lower strata.

Please keep sending your questions.

Thanks again.

VBR/ Wallis Dudhnath

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.