Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

TRX Dimensioning when Data Traffic High

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mickey

Hello Pix,

How are you,I need to do TRX dimensioning (mainly degrow) in a region where Data Traffic is very High,what methodology can be considered so that Data is not effected & TRX degrow can be done..I have to consider Voice Utilization also.

Please suggest

pix

hi Mickey,

That’s an interesting topic, but there are not so many ways to do this kind of dimensioning. The Data dimensioning is very difficult to estimate, and is very related to the vendor you’re using.
    You can start your analysis with looking at the # Used PDCH at busy hour (beware, not the # Allocated).

If this value is high, for example > 6 PDCH, then you will assume that you need only 6 PDCH in this cell.
    If number if less than 6 PDCH, then assume you need this actual # of PDCH in the cell. With a minimum of 3 PDCH.

Then, look at the TCH traffic and how much HalfRate ratio you could do in this cell, compute the # of TCH needed to carry the traffic. I usually apply a ratio of 80% of possible HR. So it means that whatever the number of FR timeslots you need to carry the current amuont of traffic (erlang B law), divide this number by 1.8 in order to know how many TS would be needed if 80% of HR is reached.

Add 1 timeslot for BCCH, few timeslots for SDCCH (based on the measured sdcch traffic), and you’re all set :
    #PDCH needed + #TCH FR needed + 1 BCCH + x SDCCH. That’s as simple as that.

You could also try to push the 2G PS Traffic to the 3G layer, by changing your 2G/3G settings.

Cheers,
    pix

Mickey

Hello Pix,

Many thanks for the discussion, I understand your way, but If i go to your way it means , I should consider Carried traffic & do reverse engineering to get TRX needed.

But in this way i am getting cells with 100% Voice utilization.

If i do this way, like I have 4 # TRX,I calculate TCH TSL’s, Occupied Erl from TCH# considering HR, & based on Utilization i do Degrow.

Now question here comes,Utilization will not include “Data”, So excluding Minimum or average used PDCH from Voice TSL’s will work ?

Or this will be a wrong calculation..

My System is E//

Please suggest

Regards,
    Mickey

pix

hi,

ok, in ericsson, the data utilization is very efficient.
    So just do your standard “voice only” capacity calculation, as you demonstrated. But rather than using 100% utilization, you may want to apply a small margin factor, of about 10-15%.

That gives you the numnber of timeslots needed to carry the current traffic. But of course, for the degrow, you must increase the HR Ratio. So don’t forget to take that into account (as i explained in firdt post)

Now you know the number of physical TS needd for TCH, add 1 BCCH, add x SDCCH.

And on top of all that, depending if your cell is “high traffic” or “low traffic”, add between 3 to 8 timeslots for data. 6 ts for data is a good average.

I’m not sure i would call that retro-engineering… you just look at the current traffic to estimate how many TRX to be removed. That’s straight-forward engineering 😀

Cheers
    pix

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.