Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

2G to 3G cell reselection issue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bocoum

If the UE loses 3G network for 2G, it never comes back to 3G even with very good radio conditions. Mainly imapcted devices are : Blackberry, iphone4 and Huawei dongles. The reselection worked before with the same devices. Traces show that le UE does not measure the 3G frequency at all. the problem is not general on the network but affects some area. Please for ideas. (Alcatel BTS, BSC, NodeB and RNC)

Bocoum

Any idea from anyone ?

GUINDO

NO, sorry my friend !

pix

hi,

Not much ideas on my side neither…

“The reselection worked before…”

Before what ?

Regards,
    pix

Gurbinder

Pix

I think he means earlier….
    Bocoum: Please have a trace of the impacted No.s and check at SGSN end. We faced similar problem in our network

pix

before = earlier, i got that… but if something has changed between “before” and “now”, it means there is a cause. Since the MS is the only one deciding to come back from 2G to 3G, based on 2G parameters provided by the 2G network, then:
    1- either your 2G parameters are wrong
    2- or, the 2G system is not sending those parameters properly
    3- or, the MS are not interpreting the parameters properly

There is counter in the 3G network that is counting how many 2G to 3G reselections are done within a specific period of time. You could see how it evolved over time ?

If you upgraded your 2G network, ensure that the way FDD and Scrambling codes to be measured are well defined after the upgrade.

1/ Which ALU release are you using ?

2/ Collect your 2G to 3G reselection attempts and successes counters (from 3G network, not 2G), and compare those amouns before vs after

3/ Check this 2G3G reselection success rate (attempt / succes) between before and after.

If succes rate degrades, then the core network might be involved (refusing to give access to some specific MS)

Cheers

Bocoum

Hello Pix
    Thank you for your reply.
    About your questions, here are some answers:
    1/ Which ALU release are you using ?
    We have UA6 release

2/ Collect your 2G to 3G reselection attempts and successes counters (from 3G network, not 2G), and compare those amouns before vs after
    By doing the comparaison, I can see that there is a decrease of both attempts and succes.

3/ Check this 2G3G reselection success rate (attempt / succes) between before and after.
    The success rate is stable (no significative change).

We did an upgrade of Huawei UMG from core network side and just after the reselection issue occurs.

e39

Hi,

Can someone post what values are you using for cell re-selections between 2G/3G, so we can compare it with ours.

thnx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.