Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Measuring Actual Traffic

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JCD

In measuring actual %Util in a mobile environment, what is the recommended formula.. does Carried/TotNoOfAvailCkt still apply?

We are using the formula right now but it seems we are getting a over 100% Utilization in some of our sites.. Can somebody please enlighten me a bit.. thanks.

Zur Azmyra

Yes, we are using BH_TRAFFIC/Offered traffic (Erlang)*100 where, offered traffic = BH_DEFCH (based on Erlang B table)

jcd

Zur,

Do you also encounter over 100% Utilization using this formula? Also, what Gos are you using, is it 1% or 2%?

gyanendra

hi JCD,

its no problem that u r getting over 100% utilization because u are taking some value of blocking. I think that the actual question in your mind is that how come carried calls be more than available ckts. It is true that u can never get more calls/traffic than avail ckts. But since u are using GOS u are in a way reducing the actual no of avail ckts.

hope that this clarifies ur doubt.

JCD

OK then, as a follow up question… At what point would you say you are Under or Over utilized?

gyanendra

It is a tough thing to decide & always been a matter of discussion among network planners. u have to not only look after utilization but also the blocking as well as the rate at which utilization is increasing. as a thumb rule u can say u are under utilized below 30% & over utilized above 80%. but there is no hard & fast to this.

DS1Pimp

you’re util threshold should be based on how quickly you can augment your trunks. 80% on the high side seems to be the common among final trunks. There are also theoretical blocking to watch out for at around 90-95% util. I personally think anything under 50% is under utilized. Usually aim for 65-75% util BH on final trunks.

JCD

OK… I may agree that anything under 50% can be considered under utilized.. But the case of being over utilized…. you see, if you are getting Util% of atleast 120% in most of your Base Station.. What do you think is the most appropriate trigger point in determining over utilize station?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.