Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Data session throughput

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mXa

I am trying 2 methodologies for data sessions
    1- Single file download
    2- Multiple files download at same time

Throughput is higher for case 2 than that of 1 with a big percentage. Does anyone know the reason for this variance?

Thanks,
    mXa

SHELDON

I think the difference is as a result of downloading a smaller file in case 1. In case 2, the combined effect of downloading multiple files is equivalent to downloading a big file.

In order to correctly measure throughput, you need to download a big file (eg 20Mb). Otherwise, the throughput will be fictitiously low. This is because the throughput starts increasing from zero(just before u start downloading), and if the file is small, it will finish downloading before you achieve the maximum throughput.

Hope this helps

Sheldon

mXa

Thanks Sheldon for ur reply. What u r saying makes sense, I will try it.

There is another thing in my mind. What are the things that delay me from reaching my maximum throughput ? (if i assumed downloading a large file)

mXa

pix

hi mxa,

are you in EGPRS or in 3G ? HSDPA ?

the reason for slow transfer at the beginning is that the system is being cautious : it assumes you have bad radio quality so it encodes the signal with high % of protection + it modulates the signal with a robust modulation.

pix

mXa

hi pix,
    I am on 3G. I checked TCP window value and it is in an adequate range.

What u r saying implies for both 2G and 3G ? Can I change that % of protection to make a faster start ?

mXa

mXa

Pix,

I meant HSDPA in 3G.

Thx

mXa

Pix,
    what is the deal with protection bits ?

mXa

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.