Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Walkie Talkies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mikal Modebe

Greetings, I am trying to see how possible it will be to manage a network of up to 10,000 walkie talkies within an area of 600,000 sq km. I already know this requires community repeaters, but I read a lot of stuff about walkies and i figure its not quite a good technology. But i wonder, isnt it the same thing police officers use?? can i have up to 10,000 in one state and manage the network well?

I want mine to be for youths who i want to give an avenue to integrate and form SMEs, so the channels will be occupied always by people talking.

So im wondering if there are very good walkie talkies out there that i can use that will have enough power to cover the 500,000sqkm…….of course with community repeaters.

I will also like to know the cost of these equipments and if they require licences, and the frequencies, etc.

thanks a lot!

Pix

Hi Mikal,

The police is using VHF equipment, and a famous brand for that is Motorola.

I didn’t understand what you wanted to do : youth talking in a device, and everybody else listening ?
    As far as i know, the VHF equipments are half duplex (if someone talks, everybody else must shut up and listen).
    That won’t work with 10,000 people, I fear. If you need to have people talking to few other people specifically + you want full duplex (everybody can talk at the same time), then you need more expensive equipment (GSM, for example)

So anyways, here is what you can check out in google / wikipedia:
    VHF network
    Ctizen Band (CB)
    Police radio

I can help with general advice, but not specifically about the technics about such VHF networks.. Check Motorola website, maybe you can contact them for some support.

regards
    pix

mikal

thanks a lot! sorry i did not explain it very well… what i meant is where 10,000 people will be talkking to each other at the same time., and u have said its not feasible. so i need some equipment like walkies, that isnt gsm so they wont be paying,,,,,,is there any? i want them to be able to use walkies to be discussing on how to make money, uild strategies for coming together to set up companies, to gather together, to spread info around to the people i the 10000 network.

pix

mikal,

well, 10 000 ppl talking together is impossible. Do you want to setup a kind of Twitter, with voice, rather than text ?

I think your 10 000 friends should use mobile phones and use special apps like twitter or a “voice” twitter through the 2.5G or 3G network. They’ll have to pay, but that’s going to be less than setting up a wireless network…

Otherwise, check out VHF networks. Please google it, as it sounds like this is what you’re looking for.

Mikal

Thanks Pix. Im beginning to fully understand whats happening. but are you in any way saying that there is a vhf network i can setup, that allows multiple users to talk simultaneously?????

Pix

Mikal,

Users would have to talk in turns, one by one. But yeah, with that in mind, that could work, theoretically.

cheers
    pix

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.