Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Penalty Time -> 2G to 3G

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Optim

Hi Xperts and Pix,

I need to know about some Penalty time that we want to apply on certain Connections when they come from 3G to 2G . . . so that they don’t go back to 3G instantly.

Tc

Optim

pix

hi,

here are the most important parameters… and my recommendations. Feel free to challenge them, or to discuss them, because I can’t be certain those will work in your particular network.

EN_2G_TO_3G_CELL_RESELECTION = 1: Enabled with 3G search activated while the UE/MS is in GMM ready state
    * to allow the 3G reselection *

EN_COMPRESSED_INTER_RAT_INFO = 1 : enable
    * to reduce signalling load *

EN_CPICH_2G_3G_RESELECTION = 1: CPICH Ec/No and RSCP measurements must be used
    * to ensure both level and C/I of the 3G are good *

EN_FAST_3G_RESELECTION = 1:only fast 3G cell reselection at 2G CS call release is used.
    * up to you, use it (1) or don’t (0) *

FDD_GPRS_Qoffset = 10dB
    * when the MS is in GPRS PTM, it can reselect 3G cells which are 10dB better than 2G serving cell only. With such setting, the 3G reselection must be very difficult * * default = -32dB*

FDD_Qoffset = -10dB
    * when the MS is in idle mode, it can reselect 3G cells with level(3G) > level(2G) – 10dB. With such setting, the 3G reselection must be more difficult than before * * default = -32dB*

FDD_Qmin = -6dB
    FDD_Qmin_Offset = -4dB
    * reselection only to 3G cells where Ec/No > -6dB (for pre R5 MS) or where Ec/No > -10dB (for post R5 MS) * (default = -12dB for all MS)

FDD_RSCPmin = -95dBm
    * reselection only to 3G cells with RSCP > -95dBm * (default = -102dBm)

Qsearch_I (Idle mode / not GPRS attached) = Always (value 7)
    Qsearch_P (GPRS PIM) = Always (value 7)
    Qsearch_P_PTM (GPRS PTM) = Always (value 7)

* when would the MS start looking for 3G cells… this is very special, I’ll let you look it up by yourself.. I recommend the value “always” in your case, to avoid a roblem. But you can optimize this value. When the MS stops looking for 3G cell, it saves battery !! So you could for example force the MS to search for 3G cell only when the 2G level is less than -74dBm (value 6), or only when the 2G level is better than -70dBm (value 10. It so strongly depends on your network design that I can’t recommend anything else than “always” 🙂 *

Enjoy 🙂 (these are very precious advices, for customers…)

Cheers
    pix

pix

and I forgot something : are you using NC2 or not, in GPRS PTM ?

Optim

Thanks Loads Pix !!

But I also forgot to mention that our equipment is Ericsson . . .

Any idea abt their parameters or the ones quotes by you are generic?

many Thanks

pix

hi,

I think those parameters are generic, because reselection is a very generic (3GPP) procedure. If there are some differences, I’m certain they are minimal and will be easily overcome by a tenacious mind.

Only the HO 2G to 3G is not standard (i think) so I’ll let you handle that one by yourself.

Let me know how it goes,

pix

Tyrax

Hi Pix,

PLZ the UE come from 3g to 2g, it will be in which status? idle, PIM or PTM?
    because i’m facing same Pb as “Optim”, so do you have an idea how to avoid the UE reselection back to 3g when he came from 3G cell?

thx

pix

tyrax,

the UE can come from 3G to 2G in idle mode, in speech dedicated mode or/and in packet dedicated mode.

All scenarios are possible, and might be independantly activated or deqctivated.

If you have an issue of idle pingpong between 3G and 2G, then you must ensure that idle “exit parameters” from 3G have weaker values than the idle “exit parameters” from 2G.

You have to put both idle algo side by side in order to find a stable stragegy.

Regards
    pix

Styrax

Hi Pix,

Just to clarify that, below you cited different 2G ALU parameters for 2g-3g reselection, what I’m trying to do is to make the reselection from 2g to 3g difficult and that by changing the “FDD_Qoffset” and “FDD_GPRS_Qoffset” value.
    But i am confused, which one of previous parameters should i change? the 1srt is for MS in idle mode and the 2nd is for MS in PTM (transfer mode), that’s why i asked you previously in which status the UE will be after IRAT PS handover from3g to 2g?

PLZ clarify this point
    Many thx

pix

hi,

which status the UE will be after IRAT PS handover from3g to 2g?

The MS in 2G will be in PTM, after a 3G2G IRAT PS reselection.

If you want to make the reselection to 3G more difficult during 2G PTM, then increase FDD_GPRS_Qoffset.

Regards,
    pix

Styrax

Hi Pix,

Could you confirm if following 2g to 3g cell reselection (in idle or in packet transfer mode) can impact 2G KPI (CDR, CSSR, and traffic), because we are facing a degradation on some cells after changing these parmaters:

– En2gTo3gCellReselection 1
    – En2gTo3gtddCellReselection 0
    – EnCpich2g3gReselection 1
    – EnFast3gReselection 1
    – FddMultiratReporting 2
    – FddQminOffset 0 dBm
    – FddReportingOffset 0
    – FddReportingThreshold 0
    – FddRscpmin -114 dBm
    – QsearchC -70: Always search for 3G neighbour cells
    – QsearchI -70: Always search for 3G neighbour cells
    – QsearchP -70: Always search for 3G neighbour cells
    – ACmbFDD_Qmin -12dB
    – ACmbFDD_Qoffset -32: Always select a 3G cell if possible
    – AGprsFddGprsQoffset -32: Always select a 3G cell if possible
    – AGprsQsearchPPtm -70: Always search for 3G neighbour cells

Thx

Styrax

Hi Pix,

Now i’m really confused, after disabling the parameter “EN_FAST_3G_RESELECTION”, the IRATHO PS Fail due to UE reselection back to 3G decreased for 3g cell for which this parameters was changed for 2G neighbors cells

but changing the parameter “EN_2G_TO_3G_CELL_RESELECTION” from 1 to 2 (disable the reselection when UE is in ready status) didn’t bring any improvement for IRATHO PS fail

i need to understand the whole IRATPS HO process, PLZ Pix if you have any doc about IRATPS HO signaling flow (E2E) thx to send it to my mail
    mail : styrax2014@yahoo.fr

thx

pix

hi,

I’ll see what I have & send u email.

regards
    pix

Vitalie

Hi Styrax,

We faced the same issue with UE reselection back to 3G when I activated 3G Fast Reselection.
    2G vendor is ALU and 3G is Huawei.
    Additional negative impact was increasing of Registration rate in 3G and Location_Update_Rate in 2G.
    The results are contrary to expectations

Kwame

Hi,

Please i have an issue with 2G-3G cell reselection. If an MS is on 2G, it stays there even if the radio conditions for 3G are good.

Any ideas?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.