Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

fast dormancy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mXa

Hello,

I have been surfing the web in search for details about fast dormancy feature in 3GPP release 8.

– Does anyone know how it will be compatible with smartphones working on releases 5 and 6 ?
    – Will it need a software upgrade only on smartphones ? or will we have to wait for smartphones working on release 8 ?

Pix

Hi MXA,

I’m only speaking generally:
    the 3GPP version of a MS is not upgradeable later on. You’ll have to buy a v8 phone when the manufacturers release them.

What is the fast dormancy feature?

If it was initially designed in 3GPP version 5, but is finalized in v8, then there is a possibility that *some* v5 MS can support it.
    If it appears from scratch in v8, then v5 MS can’t support it.

Regards
    pix

mXa

Hello Pix,

I made some research on the topic and found out that this feature can be implemented on pre-release 8 mobile phones but an update has to take place first on the handsets.

About fast dormancy feature, it is used to control the excess smartphone signaling in the network. Smartphones usually moves from DCH state to Idle state directly in order to save the battery while it should pass by FACH state for example. The new feature makes use of the PCH state and introduces a timer T323 that makes the smartphone unable to release the connection before a certain time.

U can read more on this in TS 25.331, chapter 8.1.14

pix

hi mxa, thanks for the info,

regarding the 3GPP “firmware” update, are we talking about a standard phone or a test phone ?
    for standard phones, aiming at global market, i’ve never seen this kind of updates before.

regards
    pix

mXa

PiX,
    Sorry for the late reply . . I can’t quite get what u mean.
    What I know is that the 3GPP fast dormancy feature can be added to RNCs without waiting to full release 8.
    As for the handsets, it depends on the manufacturer like Apple, Rim..etc

I read some info that Rim will modify its phones on the first quarter of 2011.

Is this what u mean ?

Regards,
    mXa

piçx

mxa,

what i understood from your previous posts is that a phone that you buy today could be later upgraded to support the fast dormancy feature.

so i’m asking what kind of MS can support this kind of upgrade : any phone or only special “drive-test” phones ?

on the network side, RNC and node B can be upgraded to the next release, of course

regards
    pix

mXa

Dear pix,
    It doesn’t have to be special phone like TEMS phone for example. Any phone can have this feature.

The phones which need this feature are smartphones due to the battery consumption technique utilized.

Regards,
    Aser

Lotfi

Hi mXa,Pix

Do you know if this feature could be activated on a gprs/edge network.
    I have a Gb trace and I noticed a huge number of pdp activation/deactivation for iphones.
    the Iphone release the pdp whenever there is no more data to be sent/received.

Thx!

mXa

Lotfi,

This is a 3G feature only, related to RRC states

mXa

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.