Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

IDLE MODE BEHAVIOUR

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DAVID

I had a brand of phone that behaves in this manner:
    when it loses reception from the home plmn, it goes into limited service mode but when the reception comes back, it fails to reselect the home network unless the phone is restarted.NB. the areas affected are near the border of the country.
    Could anyone also explain to me what happens to the phone both in Limited service mode and also when a phone loses reception to its network and reception is restored after a period.

pix

david,

there should be a timer in the phone that forces the MS to select its own HOME PLMN after few minutes. I forgot the value of this timer… 4 minutes ? 30 minutes ?

It is hardcoded in the phone…

A workaround would be to set the phone to “manual network selection”. When HPLMN is lost, the MS is “out of coverage”. Connectivity will come back when MS is back in HPLMN’s coverage.

In limited service, MS can send Emergency Calls only. Cannot receive, cannot make “normal” calls.

(ps: if you search in this forum, you’ll see a post about this topic where I wrote the duration of the timer..)

Regards
    pix

DAVID

HI PIX. THANKS WILL CHECK AND LET YOU KNOW IF IT HELPS.

DAVID

HI PIX, THE SPECIFIC TIMER WOULD REALLY HELP COS THE ONE I FOUND IN ONE OF YOUR POSTS WAS T3110/T3111. IS THAT THE ONE?

pix

hi david,

here is a copy of what i’ve written in the other thread. It is not T3xxx !

the 3GPP 22.811 is not relevant to your case, it applies to non_3GPP reselection.
    but if you look at 3GPP 23.122, you will read this :
    4.4.3.3 In VPLMN
    4.4.3.3.1 Automatic and manual network selection modes
    If the MS is in a VPLMN, the MS shall periodically attempt to obtain service on its HPLMN (if the EHPLMN list is not present or is empty) or one of its EHPLMNs (if the EHPLMN list is present) or a higher priority PLMN/access technology combinations listed in “user controlled PLMN selector” or “operator controlled PLMN selector” by scanning in accordance with the requirements that are applicable to i), ii) and iii) as defined in the Automatic Network Selection Mode in subclause 4.4.3.1.1. In the case that the mobile has a stored “Equivalent PLMNs” list the mobile shall only select a PLMN if it is of a higher priority than those of the same country as the current serving PLMN which are stored in the “Equivalent PLMNs” list. For this purpose, a value T minutes may be stored in the SIM, T is either in the range 6 minutes to 8 hours in 6 minute steps or it indicates that no periodic attempts shall be made. If no value is stored in the SIM, a default value of 60 minutes is used.

—-
    in other words, the MS is reattempting to reselect the HPLMN every hour, by default.
    read it more in details, because i just read it quickly….

regards
    pix

DAVID

HI PIX, THERE SPECIFICATION YOU SUGGESTED IS FOR NATIONAL ROAMING. DOES IT ALSO APPLY WHERE NATIONAL ROAMING IS NOT ALLOWED I.E. LIMITED SERVICE WITHIN A VPLMN BECAUSE NATIONAL ROAMING IS NOT ALLOWED. THANKS

shiz

Hello All
    We want to activate Equivalent PLMN in Siemens MSC.Wold you please guide me about parameters?
    Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.