Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

SDCCH Blocking & Location update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Star

I want to know when a subscriber make location update(periodic or boundary) meeting SDCCH blocking what will happen, whether the subscriber will continue make the location update or just try 1 time. Thanks.

Nguyen

In normal case, the location update process is as follow:

MS -> BSS: CHANNEL REQUEST
    BSS -> MS: IMMEDIATE ASSIGNMENT
    MS -> BSS: LOCATION UPDATE REQUEST
    BSS -> MS: LOCATION UPDATE ACCEPT

In the abnormal case, due to SDCCH congestion, the process will be:

MS -> BSS: CHANNEL REQUEST
    BSS -> MS: IMMEDIATE ASSIGNMENT REJECT

In this case the location updating is not started. The IMMEDIATE ASSIGNMENT REJECT will indicate the value for the timer T3122. At the MS side, the timer T3122 will start and when this timer expires, the MS will makes another attempt for location updating.

However the total number of attempts will be limited by the “Attempt Counter”.

Brgds//

Matias

I would like to know typical values of timer T3122 and maximum value of attempt counter. Is it true that high SDCCH blocking from counters in Location Area borders could be due to repeated blocked attempts? Is it reasonable to extend SDCCH resources acordingly in this particular case (i.e. LA border)?

Nguyen

Hi Matias,

The timer T3122 is sometimes called wait indication parameter. There is no default value specified by the GSM recommendation for this timer, and I think it is depended on the hardware vendor. In the Motorola BSS system, the default value for this parameter is 5 seconds. I have no information about the attempt counter parameter.

You are true that in the LA border, it is reasonable to increase the SDCCH, bacause of the number of location updating attempt will be increase in this area.

Brgds

Matias

What counter do operators use to detect blocking problems in SDCCH: blocking rate or congestion rate (%time in congestion?

Do they really want to overdimension SDCCH resources to carry peaks of LU traffic (p.ej. train/bus station, airport) that could be done no matter the delay or even performed in other cells? (note that a high blocking rate, possibly due to repeated LU attempts concentrated in time, does not necessarily mean bad call initiation blocking performance)

Wouldn´t congestion ratio be a better KPI to reflect call initiation problems(ideally uniformly distributed in time)?

Thanks.

Matias

Hi Nguyen, I saw in another topic in the forum that you have built a tool to dimension SDCCH based on number of TRXs,Ratio of Location update to calls, Ratio of SMS to calls, Blocking probability for SDCCH, Blocking probability for TCH,…

Would it be possible to have it?

Thanks, br.

Matias

My mail is mtoril@ic.uma.es

Nguyen

HI,
    plz check yr mail for an attachment.

Umreet

Hi Nguyen

This is Umreet..I had requested u to send me the tool to dimension SDCCH which u have mentioned in one of the forum.

I request u to kindly send me the same..

Thanks in anticipation
    Rgds
    Umreet

Umreet

My Mail id is:

umreet2003@yahoo.com

thanx n rgds

Matias

Hi Nguyen,

I’ve read that Erlang-B model is commonly assumed as the model to dimension SDCCH during planning stage. Have you ever checked this a posteriori with the collected traffic and blocking counters? It seems that repeated SDCCH attempts during congestion periods give higher blocking rates than expected.

BR,

alex

To Nguyen:
    Hi, Nguyen !
    Could you send me you SDCCH dimensioning tool because several days ago I removed almost 300 extra SDCCHs in my network and now want to know if it was correct 🙂
    I did’nt see “SDCCH channel congestion” on cells where I remove SDCCH but any way I want to check …
    my email shelupinin@nwgsm.ru
    thnx in advance

hermawan

I want to know the formula to calculate the blocking of the SDCCH, and what cannal logic in GSM that influence by GPRS alocation Timeslot?

Zaman

Hi
    All there,
    Please send me the SDCCH dimensioning tool…………

My email ID is:

sh_kamu@hotmail.com

Thanks

amberish trivedi

hi Nguyen
    can u send me that sdcch dimensoning tool if u don’t mid
    my email id is
    amber81@rediffmail.com

bye

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.