Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Routing Area Code (RAC)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Huawei – Man

Hi,

Routing Area Code (RAC) in Huawei.
    If it is distributed between cells without plan. For example RAC-0 is located between RAC-41.

In this case how does it affect to network and how should be the RAC planning???

pix

hello,

every time the MS reselects a cell which has a new Routing area code or routing area color, then it will do a routing area update.
    impact : signalling load on the SGSN, TBF / PDCH usage on the air interface, etc. it is highly recommended to reduce the number of RA update !

typical solution :
    within one LAC, use only one RAC : all cells in this LAC shouldshare the same ra code and ra color.

in next LAC, use another RACode and RAColor.

regards
    pix

routing area

Hi,
    I have a question, what are the drawbacks if we use one RAC for whole network?

pix

i think that there is no problem : there will still be 1 RAC per LAC. Indeed, when there is a change of LAC, even if the RA code and colour are identical, the “routing area identity” is changed
    (RAI = LAC + RAC)

So it should be safe to do that (1 RAC for the whole network). Any other opinion on the matter are welcome !

However I never tried this. To play safe, I always preferred to distinguish rAcode and RAcolor between different LAC.

Regards
    pix

Huawei – Man

What is difference between Routing Area Code and Color?

pix

just the way they are broadcasted on the BCCH : color is broadcasted very often, code is broadcasted once in a while only.

Don’t worry about this too much. The only thing that matters is that code and color are different between 1 RA and all its (immediately) adjacent RA.

regards
    pix

Huawei – Man

Does RA update affect to SDCCH overloading?

pix

huaweiman,

no, the RA update is done on the PDCH (the MS establishes a UL TBF, etc etc), it is not using a SDCCH channel.

regards
    pix

Kamal Kotecha

Hey Pix,
    R u crazy..?! We cannot use same RAC for whole n/w..

Even inter PAPU RAC should be unique..

How can whole n/w served by one RAC…? Except your n/w is being served by one papu only…(like my Old city..! he he ..)

Kamal Kotecha

Did I missed something..?!
    Sry You know Quarter of Smirnoff did that..

You can use it by implementing LRAS(Large Routing Area Support) feature..!

pix

kamal,

read carefully.
    you assign one RA code and colour on the whole network.
    But in the end, one Routing Area is defined by RAI
    RAI = LA code + RA code

So there are as many RA as there are LA ! Even though only one code is used.

I hope I am clear.
    and I hope I’m not crazy…

Now as i said this approach is weird : it *should* work, but I never tried it.

Yuki Arif

PIX is correct…

Routing Area Update Procedure is initiated when the mobile change RAI. Not by changing RAC….

There is one big/famous BSC supplier where the RAC is hard coded to 1.
    Can not be changed…

Ayat

Hi

in our case we have 2 LAC with the same ID 9108 but in different BSC in Different MSC

could you expilan?

Ashraf

I agree with you pix. It should e safe to use the same RAC for the whole network since you will assign different LAC per BSC/RNC

santosh nayak

what is PBGT handover what are the parameter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.